NFL Kickoff Game History - Perspective

BillsM@fia

Superbowl champions are now 15-4 in the kickoff game since 2004.    Buffalo is in rare company.  Buffalo also holds the largest margin of victory against a defending Superbowl champion on their home turf.  (Broncos defeating Ravens in 2013 was held in Denver)

If it wasn't for the four turnovers, we would've scored even more.  Hell, Rams touchdown drive needed to be aided by a kickoff out of bounds and an offensive lineman pushing Cooper Kupp for the fourth down conversion.  Their only other scoring drive was a low probability 58 yard field goal. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NFL_Kickoff_Game#Win/loss_records

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

Just now, BillsM@fia said:

Superbowl champions are now 15-4 in the kickoff game since 2004.    Buffalo is in rare company.  Buffalo also holds the largest margin of victory against a defending Superbowl champion on their home turf.  (Broncos defeating Ravens in 2013 was held in Denver)

If it wasn't for the four turnovers, we would've scored even more.  Hell, Rams touchdown drive needed to be aided by a kickoff out of bounds and an offensive lineman pushing Cooper Kupp for the fourth down conversion.  Their only other scoring drive was a low probability 58 yard field goal. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NFL_Kickoff_Game#Win/loss_records

I believe that to be incorrect 

I was sure I read 2nd largest 

Next who are the opponents?

The matchups matter 

• Dislike 1

9 minutes ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

The matchups matter 

Key phrase "on their home turf"  Denver Broncos beat defending champions Baltimore Ravens in 2013 by a score of 49-27, but the game was  held in Denver.

Matchups in kickoff game are always strong teams playing one another.

Edited by BillsM@fia

9 minutes ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

The matchups matter 

1395797765_ScreenShot2022-09-09at9_53_04PM.png.c24f7cbaa70b47f08d99b4efc7c88a5c.png

Sorry about the resolution but the file size limits here are pathetic.  You can see this here though: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NFL_Kickoff_Game

Edited by Scott7975
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.