'Aints to San Antonio, Albuquerque or LA?

Movign to Albuquerque would be a step back for an NFL team, it's not that big (smaller than Syracuse metro) and there are no big corporations and nothing around it but Santa Fe.  San Antonio is in an area saturated with the NFL.  But they do have a dome in place.

Over the weekend, I was in Houston and my friend from LA was there. He is working with 1 of 3 groups in LA looking to get an expansion  team or buy a team. They want an expansion team first. Then, as the second option, they will buy an exisitng one. They don't want some idiot like Benson showing up with his gang. They are looking at the Chargers and the Saints. The Colts were the team they really wanted, but they got the deal for the stadium and left the picture. The Bills aren't even on the radar he said. This is only 1 of 3 groups and I don't know much about the others.

My buddy from NO, says Benson is all talk and the Saints won't go anywhere.  I think the Chargers are the team that is in danger. Of course, that leaves San Diego open.

334761[/snapback]

Can't they just build a stadium halfway between LA and SD, and call them the So.Cal Chargers? That way SD doesn't really lose a team, and they can claim LA as their market. Build a nice shiny 90,000 seat stadium and they can get the Super Bowl every 5 years. Job done, in my opinion.

PTR

Can't they just build a stadium halfway between LA and SD, and call them the So.Cal Chargers?  That way SD doesn't really lose a team, and they can claim LA as their market.  Build a nice shiny 90,000 seat stadium and they can get the Super Bowl every 5 years.  Job done, in my opinion.

PTR

335128[/snapback]

The exact same thought occurred to me. There is a good chance that the LA team will be in Orange County (Anheim) anyway, why not just go slightly south? Build an enormo stadium and the owners have a huge fan base to draw from. San Diego people would feel less abandoned than if the team went to a sight near the Hollywood Bowl, for example. The local TV and radio rights alone would be a pile of cash.

Then again, you don't want a 90,000 seat dust collector and a team nobody likes.