It's coming, folks...

You're forgetting something....

The week before that, in the AFC Championship Game (51-3), Norwood attemped a 48-yarder from the turf. Missed wide right. Same exact trajectory. It was eery going back and seeing that.

333672[/snapback]

I don't remember that, but I have that game on tape, so I'll have to check it out.

Mike

"4) Marv not opting for one final play to get the FG attempt closer."

Marv gambled and lost. We had a shot and got alifetime of flashbacks instead.

Every year right around the Super Bowl I get at least one nightmare of those ugly Sundays.

Win one please Buffalo and get that 1000 pound gorilla off of our back.

It was actually 47 yards....a number that will forever be planted in my head.

Also, after the safety, didn't Andre Reed fail to come up with a pass around the NY 40 that left the Bills in a punting situation?  Seem to remember that key play as well.  If the Bills continue the drive with that first down, XXV coulda went the other way.

333683[/snapback]

So here's my story,

I was to youngg (or uninterested in football?) to have watched that superbowl. For the last 5-7 years though I hear all of the hate on norwood, so I too hated him. From what I heard it felt like he missed a 30 yarder or something simple, so naturally I thought he missed an easy one, at most 36 yards.

Then one day I found out the truth 47 yards (I knew that, I second guessed myself based on an earlier post) What??? 47 yards, he's not superman. Then I read up on all of the great play over the years by norwood, and how in general he was just a great kicker. I no longer hated him, in fact I will now go out of my way to defend the guy when given the chance.

It was actually 47 yards....a number that will forever be planted in my head.

333683[/snapback]

Hey, wanna see something cool? Go to BB.com's home page and see what number is magically created in the main image....

anyone remember the bomb to Lofton on the Bills first possession? Seemed to me he had enough seperation between him and the DB to run in for a TD, instead he gets pushed out around the Giants 5yrd line and all we got was a FG. It would have been sweet to beat Parcells and Belichick on the same field and squash all this genius talk that 

we're stuck with when it comes to these two chumps.

333798[/snapback]

I don't quite remember it that way. My memory was that the pass was way underthrown, and the DB (Mark Ingram I think) almost picked it off. Instead it fluttered of his hands, and into Lofton's, who had to turn around pretty far, in mid air to make the catch. If I am not mistaken, it was Lofton's momentum that carried him out of bounds at the five, after a spectacular effort to make a catch, on a poorly thorwn ball. Not sure if you were implying that it was Lofton's fault that he didn't get it into the endzone....and I am certainly not blaming Jimbo. Those kind of things happen in football games...now, if you are saying that Lofton had enough seperation to score a TD, if the ball had been throw better, I agree 100% I would have to go back and look at the video to be sure.

I will always remember SB 25 as one of the very best played games that I ever watched. It was the quick strike, high powered Bills against the defensively proficient, well coached Giants.

I love Marv, but I think, in the end, if anyone on the Bills sideline was to blame for this SB loss, it was the defensive coaching staff, and Marv Levy, by association. They were simply outcoached. It had nothing to do with the Bills players partying too much, or any other nonsense. Simply put, our defense, despite all the name players during that era, was never as good as it should have been. I really think Walt Cory was a pretty awful DC. Imagine what Wade Phillips or Ted Cottrell could have gotten out of those guys....

They came up with nothing innovative, and didn't show the Giants anything to confuse them. Going up against a relatively inexperienced QB, with very mediocre skill position players to compliment him, one would think the Bills defensive coaches would have come up with some scheme to rattle them a little bit early on in the game...I can't really blame Kelly, Reed, Thomas, Lofton, or Norwood for what happened. They averaged 1 point for every minute they had the ball. It was just that the defense couldn't get them the ball for more minutes. Norwood was a terrific kicker, but he had always had limitations from 45 yards or longer. It was not a chip shot attempt, as many would have us believe, years later.