Condolences to the TSW New England sports fans.........Golden State wins NBA title @ Celtics expense

BADOLBILZ

1 hour ago, Rico said:

I think it’s far worse in the college game where you’re one-and-done, and great teams are upset by BS teams. Most people love it (the more upsets the better) but it’s watered-down basketball to me…. I want to see the very best at the end, not some feel-good Cinderellas.  I may be the only one, but if was up to me, I would either move the 3-point line WAY back or dump 3-pointers all together.

I was going to say something similar and explain that is the exact reason I do not like the Warriors...at all. I hate their style of play. They are great at it, and obviously have great success, but it isn't fun to watch as other teams attempt to emulate it. It really kind of hurts the game.

When the 3 point shot first came to the NBA, I loved it.  Each team had a "sniper", not 5 or 6.  I loved guys like Bird (obviously), Reggie Lewis, Steve Kerr etc etc You knew their names.  Shooting the 3 was something you did out of necessity, not your go-to offense.  True, players have gotten better at them as time goes on...but it hurts the rest of their game.  The more threes that teams shoot, the more they make, but the more they miss too. It used to be exciting to see a guy like Chuck Pearson nail a three pointer to put a game away, but now it just kind of makes me numb. 

In game 7 of the Celtics/Heat series, Jimmy Butler (Heat) passed up an easy, uncontested 2 point shot to tie the game up with about 10 seconds on the clock. Al Horford (Celtics) was giving him a clear path for a layup. Instead, Butler pulled up and took a three to go for the win. He missed it. It basically cost his team a trip to the finals. 

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

Well that's a purely non objective opinion LOL

I think Larry Bird is closer to the top five Than the top 10 so I don't think he could be bumped by one guy 

He had a shorter career but he was absolutely dominant.. three times straight MVP

And he was King of the East before Michael Jordan.. Michael Jordan couldn't get by him till he was retiring

It's the opinion of some people who follow the NBA much closer than you or I, I'm sure.

Maybe it's a recency bias.........Magic versus Larry will always be the best of times in the NBA for me.........but Curry changed the game for shooting the basketball the same way that Jordan raised the game above the rim and Magic re-defined the PG position etc..

There were greats at those positions before(Bird could really shoot) but those guys clearly expanded the boundaries in their expertise.

You could make a good argument that Curry was more impactful because his success has translated to a bigger percentage of players around the NBA.   He has made people believe they can hit shots that were once absurd to try and they are doing it.    

• Like (+1) 1

On 6/17/2022 at 2:27 AM, Buftex said:

Not a New England sports fan, only a Celtics fan. It was a great season, especially considering how it started. Golden State was obviously the superior team...it wasn't really in doubt after game 4.  

Curry is maybe the best shooter in the history of the league. Props to him. He carried his team to another championship.

As for Larry Bird's status as a top 10 player... who cares? He was a great player. Two very different eras of NBA basketball.  As Charles Barkley said after game 2, "in the era I played, Steph Curry would have been laid out on his ass". He's right. But Curry doesn't play in that era....he's as good an offensive player (and not terrible defensively either) as there is over the last 20 years. 

Bird is one of my favorite players of all time, but sure, somebody could probably make an argument that there were 20 players better than him in NBA history. It does not upset me at all. It's not something that is provable.

Losing builds character.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.