Your Top 3 Players from the "Drought Era" you'd add to the current roster

BigDingus

20 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

They actually had a lot of "Left Tackle Luck" in that Donahoe period too.

In the last Dwight Adams draft(Donahoe's first) they drafted Jonas Jennings and he was a really talented player..........I believe his rookie season he started at RT and didn't allow a sack.    He was every bit the blocker that Dion Dawkins is today(and probably even better in pass pro) but he was constantly leaving the field injured.

Then they had a chance to select McKinnie.........who was considered a slam dunk pick to the Bills.......even in the fall prior to that draft.   SHOUT! magazine had an issue that fall with McKinnie on the cover LOL.   Hard to emphasize enough how OBVIOUS it was that he be the Bills first draft pick.  

But even after the Williams pick blunder,  Jennings moved to LT and played well.   But after they struck gold with Peters in UDFA they couldn't justify re-signing the too-oft-injured Jennings once Peters emerged.   Having 3 talented LT's like that should have been a blessing but by 2009 the Bills were LT-bankrupt and starting "Da'Mattress" Bell.    That 2009 OL might have been an all-time low point for Bills OL play.    I believe there was a stat presented during the opener that the Bills OL had the least combined starts of any opening day OL to play in the NFL since the merger.    

I looked up the 2009 OL:
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/buf/2009_roster.htm

Levitre and Wood were rookies, they had most starts at LG and RG. Bell was LT, then Geoff Hangartner was the C and the great Kirk Chambers was at RT. :lol: 

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Rico said:

I looked up the 2009 OL:
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/buf/2009_roster.htm

Levitre and Wood were rookies, they had most starts at LG and RG. Bell was LT, then Geoff Hangartner was the C and the great Kirk Chambers was at RT. :lol: 

After Ralph sent word down to cut Langston Walker to save some money...........as was his MO after watching preseason........in this case realizing that the Trent Edwards no-huddle offense was a complete f*cking joke.......the thought was, "well at least Brad Butler is a returning starter at tackle".    He immediately gets injured.   Enter Chambers.   What an abomination. :doh:

Edited by BADOLBILZ
  • Like (+1) 1

On 6/3/2022 at 5:04 PM, John from Riverside said:

Cant believe I had to read so far down before someone said Kyle Williams

I can't believe how many people in this thread don't understand the definition of a playoff drought.  It means no playoffs.  Kyle Williams was on the 2017 Bills team that made the playoffs.  The drought era ended at the 2016 season.  

• Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

fair enough.  i know he did it with the Eagles, but I can't say for sure about the Bills.  

According to PFF Dawkins has less sacks over his first 5 seasons than Peters did over his first 5 and it's not really that close.   Which is amazing when you consider Dawkins has played about 200 more snaps per season.  Peters led the league in sacks allowed in his last year with the Bills and he was an out of shape holdout.    The guy was a talented headache.  Peters was to LT's what Owens was to WR's.   Looking back after Peters career has unfolded is one thing but at the time many people thought the Bills were getting rid of a headache and would just draft a LT like Oher but we drafted Maybin instead.

https://walterfootball.com/jasonpeterstrade.php

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/323415-jason-peters-trade-looks-better-and-better-for-the-buffalo-bills

Edited by Maine-iac

2 hours ago, Maine-iac said:

According to PFF Dawkins has less sacks over his first 5 seasons than Peters did over his first 5 and it's not really that close.   Which is amazing when you consider Dawkins has played about 200 more snaps per season.  Peters led the league in sacks allowed in his last year with the Bills and he was an out of shape holdout.    The guy was a talented headache.  Peters was to LT's what Owens was to WR's.   Looking back after Peters career has unfolded is one thing but at the time many people thought the Bills were getting rid of a headache and would just draft a LT like Oher but we drafted Maybin instead.

https://walterfootball.com/jasonpeterstrade.php

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/323415-jason-peters-trade-looks-better-and-better-for-the-buffalo-bills

Well, if we're going to get into a Peters discussion, I'll start by saying that we can't compare sack stats over these periods.   The Passing game has changed so much, the sack numbers don't compare.  I mean, even if you think Peters was inconsistent, the notion that Dawkins compares in any way is pretty tough to swallow.   Dawkins is a good to very good system guy; Peters, by the time he left Buffalo, was a dominant left tackle.  

The Peters/Owens comparison is completely apt.  They both WERE headaches, but they both were such superior players at their positions that teams were happy to deal with the headaches, at least for a while.   

However, I think McD would take on the headaches under only certain circumstances, only when the guy fit just right.   Exactly how Belichick took Randy Moss.  Just the right fit for the right time, let's get him in here and use that talent.  

Now, the comparison breaks down, though, because Peters was less of a headache.  After his escape from Buffalo, he played his whole career for one team - Philadelphia only gave up on him because they don't think he can hold up physically, not because he was a problem.  

But he doesn't make my top 3.  My three were Fred Jackson, Reuben Brown, and Patrick Williams.   I think what I'm saying is I value the inspirational-warrior attitude that those guys had.   I don't think that Peters was that kind of player.   Peters was in many ways just plain physically dominant - he was bigger and quicker than almost anyone else trying to play that position, and he had the brains to execute at a really high level.  I think the three I picked all showed a different kind of heart over their careers, and I value that heart.  

1 minute ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

Imagine Moulds or Price with Allen?

Price, at his very best, yes.   Over his career, I'll take my chances with Gabriel Davis and use my pick elsewhere. 

Moulds, is a very different question.  Pair Diggs and Moulds?   That is a uniquely difficult duo.   One's a big-play threat who's also a possession receiver, and the other is an incredible possession receiver who also happens to be a deep threat.  That truly would be unfair to the defense.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.