Brady signs extension with Pats

Joe

ESPN news is reporting the Patriots have signed Brady to a new 6 yr. $60 mil contact with a signing bonus of 24-25 mil paid out in installments to help with the cap.

Link.

According to documents obtained by ESPN.com, the contract includes a $14.5 million signing bonus and a $12 million option bonus that is due next spring. The base salaries are $1 million (for 2005), $4 million ('06), $6 million ('07), $5 million ('08), $2.3 million ('09) and $3.5 million ('10). There are roster bonuses of $3 million each in the final three years of the contract.

Brady will have a salary cap charge of $8.429 million for 2005, which is between $1.5 million and $2 million less than under his old contract. But his cap number for 2006 jumps to a prohibitive $14.423 million, meaning the contract will have to be revisited probably by converting the option bonus into a signing bonus, which can then be prorated.

Doesn't look like a back-breaker (sh--!), especially given that the cap will be going up b/c of the new TV deals.

Looks like a good deal to me. If I was a GM this is about how I would structure it.

You front load the contract, eating most of the cap hit early on. 2006 will hurt them, but ty law will be off the books, and if they can get through 06 without restructuring it, they have a good deal with their QB until 2010.

Seems like to me that Tom Brady realizes that being a good team is in his best interest and the best way to ensure that he's on a consistant winner is to not cripple the team's salary cap. I wish more players around the NFL would take that attitude.

ESPN news is reporting the Patriots have signed Brady to a new 6 yr. $60 mil contact with a signing bonus of 24-25 mil paid out in installments to help with the cap.

331112[/snapback]

Brady got screwed! He'll barely be able to feed the kids...

Seems like to me that Tom Brady realizes that being a good team is in his best interest and the best way to ensure that he's on a consistant winner is to not cripple the team's salary cap. I wish more players around the NFL would take that attitude.

Me too. Except for patriots!

They're not Manning numbers, but they're still a ton more than the Pats have been seeing in cap hit for Brady. Considering that last year, Brady's cap hit was just $5M, the jump up to ~$8.5M, and then considerably more after that, will affect the team, much like Manning's contract has affected the Colts' team, in terms of getting a good enough defense. I mean he effectively gets paid $26.5M in bonus, since there's no way he's gone after this coming season (except due to injury).

They're not Manning numbers, but they're still a ton more than the Pats have been seeing in cap hit for Brady.  Considering that last year, Brady's cap hit was just $5M, the jump up to ~$8.5M, and then considerably more after that,  will affect the team, much  like Manning's contract has affected the Colts' team, in terms of getting a good enough defense.  I mean he effectively gets paid $26.5M in bonus, since there's no way he's gone after this coming season (except due to injury).

331145[/snapback]

They saved about 2 mil against the cap this year with this extension.

They were talking about it on espn sports radio today, while I was driving around. It is 26 million in guarentees which is included in the total 60 million. They were saying that it is pretty workable and with escalators and other incentives he maybe able to have all 6 years with the Pats under the contract without completely detroying their cap. They said even in the last year it is projected at only 10% of the cap and for a francise QB that's great.

It doesn't destroy their cap, but it's well above the cap hits they were taking the past 5 years.  That will effect them in terms of getting and keeping players.

331185[/snapback]

Keep in mind that Ty Law comes off the books - they got almost nothing out of him for a 10 million cap figure last year and still won a championship. Brown was the third highest charge and also is gone. The team is in great financial shape.

I don't think you'll find any Patriots' fans complaining - this seems like an outstanding deal. I think Brady could have gotten more on the open market.

Keep in mind that Ty Law comes off the books - they got almost nothing out of him for a 10 million cap figure last year and still won a championship. Brown was the third highest charge and also is gone. The team is in great financial shape.

Ty Law doesn't factor into anything. This was his last year under his old contract anyway, and he was already released, meaning his dead cap hit is already accounted for, all in this year. And the Pats were just $1.5M or so under the cap before Brady's redo, and now gain an additional $1.5M, with about that much going to Chad Brown.

I don't think you'll find any Patriots' fans complaining - this seems like an outstanding deal. I think Brady could have gotten more on the open market.

He definitely could have gotten more on the open market. But he's still being paid a ton, and again, a hell of a lot more than he's ever been paid.

It doesn't destroy their cap, but it's well above the cap hits they were taking the past 5 years.  That will effect them in terms of getting and keeping players.

331185[/snapback]

Somehow I feel comforted as you continue to prognosticate doom upon the Pats. Keep up the good work!

You knew that he would sign some sort of extenstion with the team eventually, and from the looks of it, he made out pretty good.

One thing I don't agree with some people saying is how guys shouldn't take less money to stay with a team. I know Milloy said that, and I'm glad he did what he did cos now hes a bill, and he of course did what was best for him, but you gotta think some guys sign for less and know they are hooked up, Brady is going to have a life after football now doubt, and the guy is what, 27? my point I guess is that its good to see some guys stay with their teams for less when they know they will make out pretty damn good in the end, and for a guy like brady, with all his enndorsements, I'd say he'll make out good in the end.

331185[/snapback]

Again, this was your quote.

Last year they paid around 15.2 million to Law and Brady on the cap - their top two players for 2004. Law, as you know, didn't even play the last 12 games, in which they went 11-1 and won a championship.

In 2003, they paid the same two players just over 12 million.

Next year, they'll pay Brady 8.5 and Law 3.2 in DM. So, right there they're 3.5 million ahead of where they were in 2004, and even ahead of where they were in 2003.

Including the cap going up in value, they'll have more money to spend getting and keeping players than they did in 2004. It's not going to (sic) "effect" them.

Have you ever made a post about the Patriots that was remotely accurate? Between that and Travis's 1600 yards next year.... :(