espn....typical

What happened in Oklahoma is typical ESPN turning race into a storyline- yes a storyline. I think Vince McMahon runs ESPN now. I dont condone use of that language, but they saw another opportunity, just like when Rush Limbaugh made that comment last year (What was he doing on that show to begin with).

A casual conversion in private, and they turn it into news. Anything for a buck ESPN, anything for a story. A guy with a crystal clear record ruined in 1 night, just so ESPN can afford to put another pepi machine in the newsroom.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What happened in Oklahoma is typical ESPN turning race into a storyline- yes a storyline. I think Vince McMahon runs ESPN now. I dont condone use of that language, but they saw another opportunity, just like when Rush Limbaugh made that comment last year (What was he doing on that show to begin with).

A casual conversion in private, and they turn it into news. Anything for a buck ESPN, anything for a story. A guy with a crystal clear record ruined in 1 night, just so ESPN can afford to put another pepi machine in the newsroom.

326509[/snapback]

Glad someone here sees the light about that crap station

326509[/snapback]

i despise ESPN. it has gotten to the point that the only time i have that network on is when my favorite Baseball team happens to be on, and when they have an NFL game on.

326509[/snapback]

What happened?

i despise ESPN.  it has gotten to the point that the only time i have that network on is when my favorite Baseball team happens to be on, and when they have an NFL game on.

326516[/snapback]

ESPN is now like MTV, they both have lost interest in covering what their stations were made to do.

So the guy's career is ruined for speaking a single word?  Gee, I'm so glad that the PC forces are out there teaching us how to be "tolerant" of one another.  :w00t:

326756[/snapback]

Your argument doesn't hold any weight. I'm sure people are tolerant of this coach as a white man. They don't have to be tolerant of his actions. I think most people know what that word means out of the mouth of a white person, and I'm sure you do, too. It was at the very least stupid for him to use it, and it rightly made him look stupid. What the hell does race have to do with this, anyway? He could have just said "some players are idiots, my players are smart" and it would have meant the same thing he meant to say.

I wouldn't want my kids playing for a guy who said stuff like this, and I would want them to call him out on it and refuse to play if he did.

Your argument doesn't hold any weight.  I'm sure people are tolerant of this coach as a white man.  They don't have to be tolerant of his actions.  I think most people know what that word means out of the mouth of a white person, and I'm sure you do, too.  It was at the very least stupid for him to use it, and it rightly made him look stupid.  What the hell does race have to do with this, anyway?  He could have just said "some players are idiots, my players are smart" and it would have meant the same thing he meant to say.

I wouldn't want my kids playing for a guy who said stuff like this, and I would want them to call him out on it and refuse to play if he did.

326829[/snapback]

My argument that a guy doesn't deserve to have his entire career ruined over one stupid comment doesn't hold any weight? :w00t::w00t: On what planet? Wouldn't a two game suspension been sufficient here? Hasn't everyone pretty much agreed by now that trashing Al Campanis' career over his infamous Nightline interview was an overreaction?

Once again, the left shows the true meaning of 'tolerance'

My argument that a guy doesn't deserve to have his entire career ruined over one stupid comment doesn't hold any weight?  :w00t:  :w00t:    On what planet?  Wouldn't a two game suspension been sufficient here?  Hasn't everyone pretty much agreed by now that trashing Al Campanis' career over his infamous Nightline interview was an overreaction?

327068[/snapback]

Seriously, I doubt this was the only time this particular gentleman has used that phrase - it's more likely that it's the first time he got caught.

I'm about as un-PC as anyone but there are certain positions in society that are subject to much closer scrutiny and this guy was holding one of them.

My argument that a guy doesn't deserve to have his entire career ruined over one stupid comment doesn't hold any weight?  :w00t:  :w00t:    On what planet?  Wouldn't a two game suspension been sufficient here?  Hasn't everyone pretty much agreed by now that trashing Al Campanis' career over his infamous Nightline interview was an overreaction?

327068[/snapback]

No, your argument about tolerance doesn't hold any weight, sorry if that wasn't clear. If the guy's career is ruined, he ruined it with his mouth. Nobody else did that for him.

My point is, how can the definition of 'tolerance' include the use of the "N-word," which by its very nature is an instrument of intolerance?

I've said everything else I wanted to say about this already.

No, your argument about tolerance doesn't hold any weight, sorry if that wasn't clear.  If the guy's career is ruined, he ruined it with his mouth.  Nobody else did that for him.

My point is, how can the definition of 'tolerance' include the use of the "N-word," which by its very nature is an instrument of intolerance?

I've said everything else I wanted to say about this already.

327084[/snapback]

Free speech, baby. It's the same set of rights that allows arseholes like Farrakhan and Sharpton to speak out against whitey.

Free speech, baby. It's the same set of rights that allows arseholes like Farrakhan and Sharpton to speak out against whitey.

327097[/snapback]

Oh come on, they are just expressing the frustration inherent in the black experience in America. No intolerance there. :w00t:

327097[/snapback]

And where are they in the public eye? Neither has a very favorable public opinion. And neither is employed by an educational institution as a coach.

The guy was free to say what he said, and he is free to pay for it.

Seriously, I doubt this was the only time this particular gentleman has used that phrase - it's more likely that it's the first time he got caught.

I'm about as un-PC as anyone but there are certain positions in society that are subject to much closer scrutiny and this guy was holding one of them.

327074[/snapback]

Clearly he should have kept his mouth shut, but I can understand what he was trying to say, which was that 'ni---r' is a term to describe a subset of people who are scumbags, and shouldn't be intended as an insult to all blacks (even though many people would say that it is). I get his point, but what I find silly is that as soon as the PC crowd hears the "N-word" come out of someone's mouth, they ignore whatever context it was used in and rush to string up the offender.

I just think it should take a little more than an un-PC comment to trash someone's career, even if he was an idiot for saying it and should have known better.

Clearly he should have kept his mouth shut, but I can understand what he was trying to say, which was that 'ni---r' is a term to describe a subset of people who are scumbags, and shouldn't be intended as an insult to all blacks (even though many people would say that it is).  I get his point, but what I find silly is that as soon as the PC crowd hears the "N-word" come out of someone's mouth, they ignore whatever context it was used in and rush to string up the offender.

I just think it should take a little more than an un-PC comment to trash someone's career, even if he was an idiot for saying it and should have known better.

327121[/snapback]

It was not the worst context in which the word has been used. That doesn't make it a good one. I just think given its history it should be deleted from the vocabulary. It serves no good purpose. Whatever the context of the word, it will always have a certain ugly subtext.