Bills play Catan

2 hours ago, Brit said:

I used to play a lot of Pandemic. Not a lot recently, though...

Catan was a breakthrough game in that it inspired designers to expand their horizons on what made good board game design. Still a solid game but there are now a shed load of games that are better. 

Booze and games are great. Big risk of playing in pubs is that any playing pieces dropped tend to be highly camouflaged on the various carpet designs pubs use.

(Talisman sucks though...)

Agreed with you about playing in pubs, which is why we play at our house or a friends house.  Most pubs are a recipe for disaster, but Houston does have a few good board game cafes where that is less of a concern.

See, I like Talisman.  It's not hard or very strategic and there is a lot of randomness, but it is very "story like" and the designers (FFG) did a really great job with the fluff and flavor, making the world come alive, especially where the expansions are concerned!  I get it though, it's not for everybody.

16 hours ago, BruceVilanch said:

Is the game really fun for the first 90% and then close to the end it just turns into absolute S*** like the show?

Game is better than the show. It establishes it's world from the beginning and stick with it. You don't start off playing Catan and finish the last round playing checkers.