New Tragically Hip album released tomorrow! 6 unreleased tracks.

Draconator

https://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/rock/9575491/tragically-hip-surprise-saskadelphia-album/?fbclid=IwAR2VGeMQZolO2JyR_tUZ2ZwM7RqA1veaYFri_rbC0dx0l2qjU2bqy29XDRo

The Tragically Hip surprised fans on Thursday (May 20) with the announcement of a surprise new album, Saskadelphia, which will feature six previously unreleased songs. The collection, due out on Friday (May 21) is made up of tracks written in 1990, five of which were laid down during the Road Apples sessions in New Orleans, according to a press release.

The sixth one is a live version of "Montreal" recorded at The Molson Centre in Montreal on Dec. 7, 2000; it was also written around the same time, but the band has yet to find the original recording. "With no shortage of material and higher ups at the American record label resisting the band’s call to release a double album, countless tracks were left behind on the studio floor," reads a statement about the collection. "And so one album, Road Apples, heads out into the world, a rung on The Tragically Hip’s climb to legend status, while the rest of the tracks are tucked into boxes and moved out of sight."

1991's Road Apples was the second studio album from the Canadian rock band fronted by beloved late singer Gord Downie, who died in Oct. 2017 at age 53 from brain cancer; the band retired the name a year later.

"Welcome to Saskadelphia: the record that stayed in the wings as Road Apples hit the stage," the release continues. "The title, a term coined by the band in a nod to the extensive touring they were doing in the early 1990s, was the original working title for Road Apples before it was rejected by those same label execs as being 'too Canadian.'"

“I went ‘Wow’ when I heard ‘Ouch’ after all this time,” said guitarist Rob Baker. “We were a pretty good little band," with drummer Johnny Fay explaining why the band felt they needed to share the three decade-old recordings with fans. “We didn't know what was there, so this meant baking them and listening to them as they were being transferred," Fay said. "Hearing them for the first time in 30 years was crazy.”

The tracks include: "Ouch," "Not Necessary," "Montreal," "Crack My Spine Like a Whip," "Just As Well" and "Reformed Baptist Blues." The band will receive the 2021 Humanitarian Award Presented by Music Canada at the 50th annual Juno Awards on June 6 in Toronto.

I’m always torn on posthumous stuff like this.

Part of me is always like ‘could be interesting’, and another part of me is like ‘probably a reason this stuff has been “in the can” for 30 years’.

Guess I’ll let my ears do the judging.

17 minutes ago, 4_kidd_4 said:

Part of me is always like ‘could be interesting’, and another part of me is like ‘probably a reason this stuff has been “in the can” for 30 years’.

From what I have heard so far, if this is the stuff that got pushed aside, and if there's more to be released, we're in for some really good s**t!  The 4 songs I've heard so far are amazing! 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Draconator said:

From what I have heard so far, if this is the stuff that got pushed aside, and if there's more to be released, we're in for some really good s**t!  The 4 songs I've heard so far are amazing! 

I'm 10 seconds in and I'm already loving it.

• Like (+1) 1

Man, this is all kinda mind blowing.

These tracks from 1990 hold up better than some of the stuff they DID release at the same time.

Maybe that's why they got cut. They were ahead of their time.

I've read that if you pay close attention, you can pick up some lyrics in Ouch that Gord later modified and re-used for other songs that were released. I'll have to take a deep dive into it tonight after I "get my mind right".

2 hours ago, 4_kidd_4 said:

Alright, I made it through the entire EP.

IMO, I can safely say this is not a release of some garbage that got cut for a reason. They are all top-notch Road Apples-era Hip tracks. I'm almost upset that they withheld them from the public for so long. I'm trying to imagine how Road Apples would have been viewed if they had included these tracks and made it an 18 song double album. Truly an epic masterpiece for sure.

RIP Gord

• Like (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, 4_kidd_4 said:

@DrDawkinstein

I’ll def give a listen later.

So these were all completed back then, and not some tracks that they decided to finish after Gordie baby passed? 

Correct. Fully recorded as tracks but left off the album.

Johnny Fay has confirmed they have at least 44 Masters unreleased, possibly 68.

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 5/22/2021 at 10:05 AM, DrDawkinstein said:

Upon further review, it would seem that "Ouch" later became "Twist My Arm". What ya think?

I can hear that.

Gave it all a couple listens, pretty good, not great. Definitely their sound from that prime Hip era.

Definitely appreciate  that it’s finished tracks from back then and not rehashed and remade after the fact.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.