Is there a winning strategy for Henry besides play

I am glad TD is our GM not you.You do not cut a player with a low cap #  who can help the team just because he is unhappy. If he makes waves in the locker room JP will say, just shut the F up and play Big Cat.

319757[/snapback]

Good point. JP is already the established leader of the Bills both on the field and in the locker room!

There is NO WAY TD will make a draft pick next season without consulting JP, and if any player acts up MM will seek the guidance of the leader and guru of the Buffalo Bills Football Team.......Big Cat!!!!!

I am glad TD is our GM not you.You do not cut a player with a low cap #  who can help the team just because he is unhappy. If he makes waves in the locker room JP will say, just shut the F up and play Big Cat.

319757[/snapback]

Yes you do cut them.

If you work for me and badmouth the business, I would not put it on your fellow employees to do my job. I would fire you.

Yes you do cut them.

If you work for me and badmouth the business, I would not put it on your fellow employees to do my job. I would fire you.

319786[/snapback]

Yeah, but do you have "Big Cat" to straighten this, and every other situation out?

Think a little more, OK? :lol:

Yes you do cut them.

319786[/snapback]

Just guessing, but in your business there is probably not a salary cap, collective bargaining and the scarcity of qualified workers that lend to comparison to the NFL. The end analysis is that a pissed off Henry doesn't cost you that much, and is better than Shaud Williams.

The question I have is if Travis comes in with a bad attitude, can the team suspend him? To me, the best scenario is the one in which Travis comes in and busts his stones to be the best he can be, if only to improve his worth in next yeras free agency period. However, he has to remember that Edge and Alexander look they are going to be playing under one year tags, so he is going to be competing agaisnt those guys next year as well.

With all the RBs drafted this year, TH may NEVER get a big payday. Sucks for him, but that is what it is.

His best option may be to be a career backup for Willis on the 2006 SB winning Bills

The biggest problem I have with the particulars of his game is that he stacked up 1300+ yards twice by pounding away with a yard a carry for 7 tries and got his big yards later in the game.  I prefer my #2 RB to be more of a Kenny Davis who was a great change of pace to TT (though not nearly as good an RB as TT was because of TT's pass catching ability and blitz pick-up skill but that is not essential in a back-up anyway) but having more instant offense than Henry has shown.

319474[/snapback]

I think you are misconstruing why Travis was more successful later in the game. It wasn't because he needs 20+ carries to warm up. It was more because he had worn down the defense with his pounding running style -- and he didn't wear down as much as the defense did. So when he hits the hole with first quarter force, he tended to get more yards.

I do not see this being a problem, as McGahee will do as well as Henry in terms of wearing down a defense. In that respect, the 1-2 never-ending punch of battering ram-style running, Willis and Henry could be fantastic. In theory of course.

I'd cut him June 1st. He doesn't want to be here. I don't want a petulant infant on the team. I feel the Bill's management failed to wake up and get whatever they could for him - other teams correctly determined that he has become a snot.

319464[/snapback]

You don't cut someone that has value. Period. That is just bad business. If the Bills are dead set on getting rid of him, then they can trade him at a discount-- say a fourth rounder next year. Better than the nothing the Bills get from cutting him.

Agreed biatch!

I will even go a step further and say that the Bills should keep him. Whether he's the starter or not, this is a contract year for him and the Bills have a viable backup behind Willis. I don't trust Shaud Williams anyway.

You don't cut someone that has value.  Period.  That is just bad business.  If the Bills are dead set on getting rid of him, then they can trade him at a discount-- say a fourth rounder next year.  Better than the nothing the Bills get from cutting him.

319819[/snapback]

I think you are misconstruing why Travis was more successful later in the game.  It wasn't because he needs 20+ carries to warm up.  It was more because he had worn down the defense with his pounding running style -- and he didn't wear down as much as the defense did.  So when he hits the hole with first quarter force, he tended to get more yards. 

I do not see this being a problem, as McGahee will do as well as Henry in terms of wearing down a defense.  In that respect, the 1-2 never-ending punch of battering ram-style running, Willis and Henry could be fantastic.  In theory of course.

319816[/snapback]

Goid point and I can buy this.

Good point. JP is already the established leader of the Bills both on the field and in the locker room!

There is NO WAY TD will make a draft pick next season without consulting JP, and if any player acts up MM will seek the guidance of the leader and guru of the Buffalo Bills Football Team.......Big Cat!!!!!

You seem to have big problem with the name "Big Cat". Why is that?

Because there are only so many slots on a roster, and you have a cap on thoise positions in real dollars.  If you have a guy taking part of your cap who isn't playing then a team really cannot afford that.  Especially a running back who will not play special teams.

319587[/snapback]

His cap # is very low. If they tell him to play special teams he will have no choice but to play or be fined.

His cap # is very low. If they tell him to play special teams he will have no choice but to play or be fined.

324979[/snapback]

Travis cannot/wont protect his quarterback from the running back position. This strong runner is utterly useless as a blocker. Certainly you dont dispute this if you watch the Buffalo Bills football games.

What on Earth leaves you with the impression that he would be willing to sacrifice his body to make a special teams play for a team that he wants off of; this in an option year?

Travis is a proven loser who will not be on the football team this season.

You don't cut someone that has value.  Period.  That is just bad business.  If the Bills are dead set on getting rid of him, then they can trade him at a discount-- say a fourth rounder next year.  Better than the nothing the Bills get from cutting him.

319819[/snapback]

They don't get nothing - they get his cap space right now and the flexibility that comes with it.

It's bad business to keep him at his current cap figure if he's not going to be a third down back or play special teams. It's bad business if the team has already decided that Willis is in Buffalo to stay, that TH is gone after 2005 and they have to wait a year to develop a complementary back to WM.

It's dubious to think he has value when he went through the draft untraded.

It's pretty unlikely that the Bills will chug along without issue if WM were to get hurt and replaced by Henry, when just the opposite happened last year.

If Henry is still a Bill come training camp I see him missing all of training camp, the pre-season and the first 10 games of the season...he'll then come back, collect his paycheck for the last 6 weeks and become a free agent at the end of the year.

If Henry is still a Bill come training camp I see him missing all of training camp, the pre-season and the first 10 games of the season...he'll then come back, collect his paycheck for the last 6 weeks and become a free agent at the end of the year.

325094[/snapback]

This might get him to free agency, but will certainly not help him at all in his desire to make his next contract a big one. If Henry actually suceeded in this little game, he would go into free agency with:

1. Having had two non-productive years in a row on the field. Excuses can be made that he was in a funk last year over WM and then WM proved to be a good enough player to keep him off the field. He can attempt to explain away the poor production in 2005 by saying he did not play most of the season. However talk walks and production talks and going two years in a row without showing the production that saw him get 1300+ yards will be two years ago and it will hurt his ability to get a big contract.

2. His potential new employers questioning whether they want to invest a mint in a player who stood up to his old employers, was willing to sit rather than play and ultimately successfully pulled a tricl on them to get what he wanted even if the team wanted something else. Would you as an employer trust him enough to spend huge dollars on him. Maybe if you thought his production would make a difference, but as in point one he will be a bit removed from his production.

3. His current teammates have already begun to publicly express displeasure with TH's attitude as a teammate (WM was quoted last year saying if he were TH he'd prove his worth and defend his job on the field and Moulds is quoted todays saying he wished TH had come to camp). Neither of these points is fatal right now (WM is his competition, Moulds problems can be solved by Henry coming back) however, if TH plays the game you suggest he will likely get badmouthed by his fellow teammates for not watching their backs. TH runs the risk that potential future teamates will react negatively should a GM ask team leaders how they would feel about the team bringing him in.

4. Finally, if the Bills attempt to hold onto him by suspending him for sitting out and win the battle over this issue, TH will simply remain Bills property and not get FA status, or if he wins this figth he runs the risk of a whispering campaign being launched that TH;s injuries which ended last season were more serious than the Bills let on and this would undercut his negotiating position.

Henry can do what he wants certainly, but if coming in after 10 games is what he wants he runs the strong risk of not getting the contract or the freedom he wants.

325094[/snapback]

Even in that scenario, if we were in position to make a run at the playoffs the value of having Travis available to us would be greater than the contribution of a 3rd round pick- at least for the season we're entering.