Yahoo Sports grades the bills last

Smartass.

Well let's look at our draft from start to finish.  The goals coming in according to most observers were.

1.  Unload Travis Henry.  TD failed to do this.

2.  Remedy the offensive tackle situation so we don't have Trey Teague playing tackle.  While we did take an OT in round 6, on paper that does not look like it is a solution for this season or even the next few.  We failed (not sure if we tried) to trade up for Barnes who was picked just a few spots in front of us.

3.  Pick up a DT.  We really blew this one in my opinion with Hawthorne sitting there in round 5.

4.  Pick up a tight end.  We were successful in doing this.  I'm fine with the pick we made in this regard.

5.  Take a player who can help us now with our first pick in round two.  I do not feel that Parrish is going to help us this year and I didn't like the pick.  While TD keeps taking the best on the board vs need we keep finishing 8-8 and 9-7.

In 2 or 3 years I may tell you it turned out great, but sitting here looking at what we did this weekend does not really impress me whatsoever.

319461[/snapback]

1) he still can

2) he still can

3) hawthorne was there for a reason (though i couldnt believe it eather), but he must feel edwards or anderson could start this comming season.

4) so am i.

5) hes a punt returner, and slot reciever who will fight reed (if we dont trade reed) for the slot reciever position. i can definatly see him as the 3rd WR in the first game this season.

6) dont forget our 1st round draft pick (JP Losman) who will be our starting QB this season. you have to mention that when we talk about this draft.

i was surprised with the picks. but i said the same about McGahee. so ill wait and see.

and maybe TD knows what we NEED more than we do. :lol:

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So some guy at Yahoo sports knows better than our GM what the team needs are? Stick to analysis on who the draft picks were and how they project (even that is somewhat silly before these guys have even stepped into an NFL football game much less practice field). If we re-sign Clements or even plan to franchise him, I like the looks of our draft selection this year.

So some guy at Yahoo sports knows better than our GM what the team needs are?  Stick to analysis on who the draft picks were and how they project (even that is somewhat silly before these guys have even stepped into an NFL football game much less practice field).  If we re-sign Clements or even plan to franchise him, I like the looks of our draft selection this year.

319725[/snapback]

Maybe in four MORE years, the GM and coaching staff will get into the playoffs. Be positive. :lol:

He can probably spell "barely", though.

BTW, I see you didn't learn from being B word slapped on this subject the last time.

319233[/snapback]

Ah, it was great to read that thread again. That was clearly the biggest smackdown I've seen here ever, and SoCal just kept coming back! God, he was like a Jehova's Witness of Donahoe hate.

Maybe in four MORE years, the GM and coaching staff will get into the playoffs. Be positive. :lol:

319748[/snapback]

Quiet down, the Bills are in good hands, can't you see all the success we've had? I can't even count how many playoff games we have had here with 'Ol Whitey at the helm. Oh wait I guess I don't have to. The answer is ZERO.

Quiet down, the Bills are in good hands, can't you see all the success we've had?  I can't even count how many playoff games we have had here with 'Ol Whitey at the helm.  Oh wait I guess I don't have to.  The answer is ZERO.

320126[/snapback]

You're piss poor fandom is more responsible for our lack of success than anything happening at OBD. You're a curse.

Quiet down, the Bills are in good hands, can't you see all the success we've had?  I can't even count how many playoff games we have had here with 'Ol Whitey at the helm.  Oh wait I guess I don't have to.  The answer is ZERO.

320126[/snapback]

I love opinions in a vacum. They show great intellect.

I love opinions in a vacum. They show great intellect.

320364[/snapback]

Well let's take into account his resume.

1. He hired Gregg Williams when he could have had Marvin Lewis. This set us back 3 years.

2. He traded a first round pick for Drew Bledsoe which helped set us back for 2 years.

3. Drafted a running back in the first round and created a running back controversey when it didn't need to be created. Granted, Willis is a better back, but basically we wasted 3 years with Henry just so McGahee could come in and do the job instead.

4. He has neglected to SERIOUSLY address the offensive line through the draft as we are continually manhandled in that department against our biggest rivals from New England.

5. His overall record as GM is 26-38. If you want to take out his first year here we are 23-25.

None of these things give me reasons for confidence in things turning around any time soon with Donahoe at the helm. We have a rookie quarterback starting this season (which I'm fine with) and I expect us to finish somewhere around 8-8 which would once again keep us out of the playoffs. That would be year 5 of the TD era without a playoff berth. The goal in the NFL is to win games and make the playoffs. 5 years with no playoff appearences is not a good thing and it surprises me that a good number of people on here are so blindly following a man who has yet to deliver even ONE playoff game to Buffalo as the GM.

Like I said, opinions in a vacum are not a sign of a well founded evaluation.

1.  He hired Gregg Williams when he could have had Marvin Lewis.  This set us back 3 years.

2.  He traded a first round pick for Drew Bledsoe which helped set us back for 2 years.

3.  Drafted a running back in the first round and created a running back controversey when it didn't need to be created.  Granted, Willis is a better back, but basically we wasted 3 years with Henry just so McGahee could come in and do the job instead.

4.  He has neglected to SERIOUSLY address the offensive line through the draft as we are continually manhandled in that department against our biggest rivals from New England.

5.  His overall record as GM is 26-38.  If you want to take out his first year here we are 23-25.

None of these things give me reasons for confidence in things turning around any time soon with Donahoe at the helm.  We have a rookie quarterback starting this season (which I'm fine with) and I expect us to finish somewhere around 8-8 which would once again keep us out of the playoffs.  That would be year 5 of the TD era without a playoff berth.  The goal in the NFL is to win games and make the playoffs.  5 years with no playoff appearences is not a good thing and it surprises me that a good number of people on here are so blindly following a man who has yet to deliver even ONE playoff game to Buffalo as the GM.

320514[/snapback]

Like I said, opinions in a vacum are not a sign of a well founded evaluation.

320618[/snapback]

Well what exactly are you looking for? It's tough to show you anything other than results or lack of I guess.

The fact is, people want to keep embracing Donahoe when he hasn't done anything worthy of getting praise. Everyone talks about the Redskins and how bad they are run, but they are just like Donahoe. They win the free agency Super Bowl in April and go 8-8 or less starting in September.

Well what exactly are you looking for?  It's tough to show you anything other than results or lack of I guess.

The fact is, people want to keep embracing Donahoe when he hasn't done anything worthy of getting praise.  Everyone talks about the Redskins and how bad they are run, but they are just like Donahoe.  They win the free agency Super Bowl in April and go 8-8 or less starting in September.

321079[/snapback]

Ouch! :(

1. He hired Gregg Williams when he could have had Marvin Lewis. This set us back 3 years.

There is no evidence that MArvin Lewis wanted to come to Buffalo. None. Zip. More evidence speaks against it. Don't forget history in your rush to hate.

2. He traded a first round pick for Drew Bledsoe which helped set us back for 2 years.

We were coming off 3-13 and needed a bold move to spark the franchise. It worked for a bit, then fizzled. That's what taking risks is all about. C'est la vie.

3. Drafted a running back in the first round and created a running back controversey when it didn't need to be created. Granted, Willis is a better back, but basically we wasted 3 years with Henry just so McGahee could come in and do the job instead.

This is just plain silly. He had Henry, who started for 2 years, showed flashes of brilliance, but also some weaknesses, and he drafted someone who might improve on him. That's what teams do.

4. He has neglected to SERIOUSLY address the offensive line through the draft as we are continually manhandled in that department against our biggest rivals from New England.

He has drafted OL players, signed free agents, looked for UDFAs, just like everyone else does. Some pan out, some don't.

5. His overall record as GM is 26-38. If you want to take out his first year here we are 23-25.

His overall record is also that the Bills are out of cap hell, and have a young nucleus to go with a solid defense to make this a very interesting year.

None of these things give me reasons for confidence in things turning around any time soon with Donahoe at the helm. We have a rookie quarterback starting this season (which I'm fine with) and I expect us to finish somewhere around 8-8 which would once again keep us out of the playoffs. That would be year 5 of the TD era without a playoff berth. The goal in the NFL is to win games and make the playoffs. 5 years with no playoff appearences is not a good thing and it surprises me that a good number of people on here are so blindly following a man who has yet to deliver even ONE playoff game to Buffalo as the GM.

It's got nothing to do with being blind. It has everything to do with avoiding childish desires to throw away the old toy just to get a shiny new one.

Go Bills!

The truth hurts doesn't it?

321174[/snapback]

NO, but opinions based on bullcrap do. You don't realize that in all your criticism you present an obviously lopsided view of reality. Donahoe has made some mistakes - show me a GM who hasn't -- but he's also done some damn smart things. And I think the good outweighs the bad.

If you don't take the good with the bad and evaluate it as a whole -- which you and your anti-Donahoe nazis continually do, it's difficult to have a rational discussion. End of story.