NFL should institute a 1 time contract buyout for teams to get under the cap this year

5 hours ago, BigdaddyinOrlando said:

The next CBA should have a clause in it where your QB contract only counts half of the actual cap number against the cap. That position is so vital to have and yet it absolutely cripples a team in keep other players on it. It would allow you to keep more players and pay more of the middle tier players that make up most of the team and yet are switched out or cut when they are due for a contract raise. Sorta like the Larry Bird rule the NBA had. Just a thought 

That would only widen the advantage and gap between teams with great QB's and teams without one effectively you would be gifting KC 20 plus million in cap space annually when they already have Mahomes who is a large advantage. The large QB cap numbers are part of the competitive balance of the league. 

It is still an advantage to have a good QB even on a big contract but at least when you have to cut deep into your cap to keep them it gives other teams a chance.

• Agree 1

35 minutes ago, RangerDave said:

What if, instead of "buying out" a player's contract, whereby the player still gets a percentage of his contract money, the league changed the cap rules?  Can they say that each team can cut one player, but that contract would not be included in the dead cap hit.  That would amount the the same situation of ridding a team of one bad contract, like proposed by OP, but the player would only get whatever is left of his guaranteed contract.  Would that be allowed under CBA rules?  Would that be better or worse for the player than being "bought out" of his contract?

Under current rules no but I could see NFL/NFLPA making that agreement but with a cap so team could not load up dead money on one player.

Part of reason for cap is to prevent football to become like baseball with teams with large resources in large population area and deals with local networks from dominating league.  If football became like baseball I'd watch a lot less.

2 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Under current rules no but I could see NFL/NFLPA making that agreement but with a cap so team could not load up dead money on one player.

Part of reason for cap is to prevent football to become like baseball with teams with large resources in large population area and deals with local networks from dominating league.  If football became like baseball I'd watch a lot less.

I assumed this was a one-time deal due to the COVID drop in revenue, as the OP was proposing.

56 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

That would only widen the advantage and gap between teams with great QB's and teams without one effectively you would be gifting KC 20 plus million in cap space annually when they already have Mahomes who is a large advantage. The large QB cap numbers are part of the competitive balance of the league. 

It is still an advantage to have a good QB even on a big contract but at least when you have to cut deep into your cap to keep them it gives other teams a chance.

Good point. I guess I was wanting some way to keep a team together for the most part and was looking at the general highest contract and how it seems to hamstring a team. But you make a solid point in it wouldn’t take long for it to be abused or circumvented in some fashion. 

23 minutes ago, BigdaddyinOrlando said:

Good point. I guess I was wanting some way to keep a team together for the most part and was looking at the general highest contract and how it seems to hamstring a team. But you make a solid point in it wouldn’t take long for it to be abused or circumvented in some fashion. 

I get the sentiment behind the idea, but in the end things have to even out somehow. Having a QB is such an advantage no reason to make it even more of an advantage.