Alaska Darin will appreciate this

Ending Assault Weapons Ban Changes Little

Despite dire predictions that the streets would be awash in military-style guns, the expiration of the decade-long assault weapons ban last September has not set off a sustained surge in the weapons' sales, gun makers and sellers say. It also has not caused any noticeable increase in gun crime in the past seven months, according to several metropolitan police departments.

Assault weapons account for a small fraction of gun crimes: about 2 percent, according to most studies, and no more than 8 percent. But they have been used in many high-profile shooting sprees. The snipers in the 2002 Washington-area shootings, for instance, used semiautomatic assault rifles that were copycat versions of banned carbines.

Gun crime has plummeted since the early 1990's. But a study for the National Institute of Justice said that it could not "clearly credit the ban with any of the nation's recent drop in gun violence."

Research for the study in several cities did show a significant decline in the criminal use of assault weapons during the ban. According to the study, however, that decline was offset by the "steady or rising use" of other guns equipped with high-capacity magazines - ammunition-feeding devices that hold more than 10 rounds.

Funny, that is what people have been saying when they first wanted to impliment the ban. They said it would have no effect. The ban went into place and shockingly, it made no difference. Now the ban has lapsed and again, no difference.

Maybe people will start to focus on the real causes for gun violence, instead of trying to pass feel-good legislation against inanimate objects. Wait...What the hell am I thinking? :devil:

Inanimate objects scare me.

317230[/snapback]

Especially those red plastic cups! :(

The only "law" I'd maybe like to see is to have gun owners, especially ones w/ children around, have a safe or keep gunlocks on when not in use. The electronic fingerprint technology is great but it's been slow to market. In the meantime, I'm an ardent proponent of the Eddie Eagle program. Those stories are the worst enemy for the NRA and people who own guns responsibly.