Next Gen Stats: Compelling figures for top MVP candidates (Allen Included)

MJS

I agree with Mahomes #1, Rodgers #2, and Allen #3 at this point in time and I agree that the Hail Murray has hurt Allen's chances, as he was "denied" another "signature comeback win" and the Bills record is one game worse than it would have been.  I also know that just a few weeks ago, Russell Wilson was #1 in the MVP race and that has clearly changed, so there's plenty of time for things to shake out.  If the Bills win out and Allen plays well, and the Chiefs and/or Packers falter a little bit, Allen could sneak in there.  Regardless of how it plays out, I think it's great that our QB is being viewed among the league's best players.  I should add that I am more concerned with how the Bills do as a team than with how any individual player fares in relation to a subjective award.

• Like (+1) 1

Why the Bills won 

The simple answer is Josh Allen. The third-year quarterback has been great as of late and should be mentioned in the MVP discussion.

Whether it's acting as a game manager or taking shots downfield and picking up yards in big chunks, Allen does whatever is needed from him and he does it well. 

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/bills-vs-broncos-score-buffalo-locks-up-afc-east-with-blowout-win-over-denver/live/

On 12/18/2020 at 12:13 PM, MJS said:

Here's what I found:

"Expected Points Added (EPA) is a football statistic that seeks to measure the value of individual plays in terms of points. This is done by calculating the Expected Points(EP) of the down, distance, and field position situation at the start of a play and contrasting it with the situation at the end of the play."

So they somehow have calculated what the expected points would be for every situation on the field and then measure that against what actually happens. It's a strange metric, but it does not seem subjective.

Via analytics they can pretty much calculate how many expected points you should get based on field position. That is why analytics say consistency of starting field position for a kicker is more important than FG percentage in terms of points scored in a game. Or at least used to. Not sure how the change in kickoff rules and touchbacks to the 25 have impacted this.

On 12/18/2020 at 2:47 PM, msw2112 said:

I agree with Mahomes #1, Rodgers #2, and Allen #3 at this point in time and I agree that the Hail Murray has hurt Allen's chances, as he was "denied" another "signature comeback win" and the Bills record is one game worse than it would have been.  I also know that just a few weeks ago, Russell Wilson was #1 in the MVP race and that has clearly changed, so there's plenty of time for things to shake out.  If the Bills win out and Allen plays well, and the Chiefs and/or Packers falter a little bit, Allen could sneak in there.  Regardless of how it plays out, I think it's great that our QB is being viewed among the league's best players.  I should add that I am more concerned with how the Bills do as a team than with how any individual player fares in relation to a subjective award.

Rodgers had a pretty poor game against a Carolina team that just allowed Drew Lock to light them up the previous week for 280 yards and 4 TDs. The same Drew Lock who threw for 132 yards against us with 1/3 of that coming in garbage time.

Edited by matter2003