The Mystery of the Disappearing Run Game

On 11/25/2020 at 10:39 AM, 2003Contenders said:

Obviously the run game has not been what we would like to see, but I also wonder how much of that is a lack of commitment to it.

From my perspective, they really have not tried to make it a focus of the offense in any game except the New England game -- and in that game they ran the ball very effectively. 

I know once the weather starts getting really bad, etc. the team will need to rely on it more heavily -- but aside from the Tennessee and KC games, the offense as a whole (even without a consistent running game) has performed. 

It was a focus of the NE game, certainly, but I think it's a bit backwards.  I think the reason we haven't committed to the run game is because it's been ineffective.

18 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

2015: Frank Cignetti, St Louis Rams OC, manages to make both Nick Foles and Case Keenum look like crap as QB.  Fired and replaced by Rob Boras, .

2016: As LA Rams OC, Rob Boras renders an ineffective offense totally impotent with Case Keenum and Jared Goff, who look quite inept.  Meanwhile Foles contemplates retirement and retreats to play backup QB in KC under Andy Reid.

2017:  Case Keenum and Vikes defeat N'Orleans in division round and contend for NFC Championship vs. Nick Foles and Philadelphia Eagles.  Foles leads Eagles to SB win

Meanwhile under Sean McVay, Goff and LA Rams go 11-5 and reach playoffs

2018: Goff and LA Rams win NFC championship and play in Superbowl

Let's count: that's not one, not two, but THREE different QB who went straight to the top of the league after leaving Rob Boras in their rear-view mirror.

If ever there were a clearer example of "It's not us, it's YOU" in the effect of an offensive coordinator on 3 different QB .....I can't think of one.

Meanwhile, Sean McDermott hires Rob Boras to be the TE coach of the Buffalo Bills (hired before Dennison), where he outlasts the first OC he is hired to work with and is still here.

Now maybe Rob Boras is a great TE coach.  He was a TE coach for 10 years before becoming the Rams OC.  Maybe he has a knack for it and was just out of his depth as OC.

But when we so consistently seem to lack decent TE play from different players drafted in different rounds with different expectations, and the TE coach is a guy who made 3 different QB who had success after they left him look crap, I'm like "Hmmmmm, could the TE coach have something to do with this?"

Thanks for the bit of history Hap :)

Your case, as presented sure does have Boras looking questionable. Unless Daboll is keeping a close eye on him.
 which sounds like the smart thing to do.