Possible Flex Week 17?

Buffalo03

6 minutes ago, Buffalo03 said:

The Rams will be at their 5 game primetime max already. Same with the Packers. And there's no way I can see them having two 5-10 teams between the Giants and Cowboys to see who wins a crappy division. Every team can only have a maximum of 5 primetime games a season

Even though the Giants and Cowboys are garbage teams they would get the primetime game if the division is on the line. Both teams have large fanbases and have a strong national appeal. Yes the division sucks but if these hapless teams are fighting for the division then it will bring in strong ratings which is what the league/NBC want.

45 minutes ago, Greg S said:

Even though the Giants and Cowboys are garbage teams they would get the primetime game if the division is on the line. Both teams have large fanbases and have a strong national appeal. Yes the division sucks but if these hapless teams are fighting for the division then it will bring in strong ratings which is what the league/NBC want.

I think the league puts too much emphasis on markets. I don't think people watch primetime games because it's the Cowboys and Giants, I think they watch primetime games because it's football. When the Bills were good in the early 90's they were on primetime all the time. The Packers are a small market team but they get 5 primetime games a year guaranteed. I know I personally watch a Sunday night game because it's a football game. I actually get tired of seeing the Giants and Jets and Cowboys play a million night games a year

1 hour ago, Buffalo03 said:

The Rams will be at their 5 game primetime max already. Same with the Packers. And there's no way I can see them having two 5-10 teams between the Giants and Cowboys to see who wins a crappy division. Every team can only have a maximum of 5 primetime games a season

That rule doesn't apply to week 17. Nor does the rule allowing networks to protect certain games from flexing. The NFL has unilateral decision making in scheduling week 17, all on only 6 days notice.