We lost another Bills fan

scribo

Why do these kids have to go two and three times?  They didn't do that during Vietman.

311865[/snapback]

I'm thinking the draft provided the military with enough bodies to only mandate one tour. Contrast that with today - obviously there is no draft and the military has been struggling to meet their recruiting goals.

That'd be my guess.

Why do these kids have to go two and three times?  They didn't do that during Vietman.

311865[/snapback]

Plenty did moe than one tour in Vietnam. But it wasn't as common then as it is now because the enlistments back then were shorter, so a soldier would often join, get trained, deply, come home and get out. Now the military understands that they were losing a lot of money by putting so much into training soldiers and then letting them out after 18 months.

I'm thinking the draft provided the military with enough bodies to only mandate one tour.  Contrast that with today - obviously there is no draft and the military has been struggling to meet their recruiting goals. 

That'd be my guess.

311873[/snapback]

Do more with less. No one wants to pay the money to have a larger military, so they downsize. Then, when there is actually a war, there aren't enough people to go around.

Not really much can be done about it.

Plenty did moe than one tour in Vietnam. It was as common then as it is now because the enlistments back then were shorter, so a soldier would often join, get trained, deply, come home and get out. Now the military understands that they were losing a lot of money by putting so much into training soldiers and then letting them out after 18 months.

311908[/snapback]

I agree, my dad did three and that wasn't uncommon.

I'm thinking the draft provided the military with enough bodies to only mandate one tour. Contrast that with today - obviously there is no draft and the military has been struggling to meet their recruiting goals.

That makes sense Campy.

Just doesn't seem fair that all these young men sitting around yelling "gung ho" for the war are here safe while some kids have to go back 2 and 3 times. :huh:

Its always a tragedy and a great loss. Regardless what one's position is on this conflict we are all united behind our brave and courageous soldiers. When our sons and daughters are injured or killed it pains all of us deeply.

God bless his family. I hope his daughter grows up knowing that her Dad loved her even though he couldn't be there for her. Always makes me sad when I see the faces of our servicemen that have given their lives for this country.

Its always a tragedy and a great loss. Regardless what one's position is on this conflict we are all united behind our brave and courageous soldiers. When our sons and daughters are injured or killed it pains all of us deeply.

311982[/snapback]

Semer Fidelis.

311982[/snapback]

So well put. I can add nothing beyond thanking you for those words.

311982[/snapback]

Thank You for putting into words what many of us feel.

I wasn't totally sure how to handle this last Wednesday when I got called in Greensboro, but Jake was my cousin. I was in Buffalo from Saturday until last night trying to support my Aunt Amy and his wife Ashlie as much as I can. The funeral plans were only being put on wait because we were waiting for Jake's remains to arrive from overseas and they are finalized now. The Pfister, MacGregor and Morrissey families are very appreciative of all the prayers and support they have recieved.