(OT) Jessica Lunsford Was Raped, Buried Alive

It seems to me that the states these things have been occuring in lately HAVE the death penalty.  It doesn't seem to have deterred them.

312123[/snapback]

The problem IMHO with using penalties as deterrents, be it the death penalty or mandatory minimums for potheads busted with possesion is that the deterrents simply don't work.

I disagree with AD in that it's because the process is too long or drawn out. I think it's more a case of people who break laws don't anticipate getting caught, ie, "I'm not going to get caught, so who cares what the penalty is for those suckers who do?"

The day criminals start believing they'll be caught will be the day that using penalties as a deterrent will be effective - But it ain't happenin' anytime soon.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The problem IMHO with using penalties as deterrents, be it the death penalty or mandatory minimums for potheads busted with possesion is that the deterrents simply don't work.

I disagree with AD in that it's because the process is too long or drawn out.  I think it's more a case of people who break laws don't anticipate getting caught, ie, "I'm not going to get caught, so who cares what the penalty is for those suckers who do?"

The day criminals start believing they'll be caught will be the day that using penalties as a deterrent will be effective - But it ain't happenin' anytime soon.

318447[/snapback]

I visited my old hometown (TX) website last week and checked out the sex offenders - one of my former neighbors was one and I was idly curious to see if he was still in circulation.

What got me as I reviewed it was how many of those guys SERVED NO TIME for molestation! The web site lists their crime, their victim's age and sex, and sentence / time served. More than half served ZERO time - were on probation.

Something's wrong with that.

I visited my old hometown (TX) website last week and checked out the sex offenders - one of my former neighbors was one and I was idly curious to see if he was still in circulation.

What got me as I reviewed it was how many of those guys SERVED NO TIME for molestation!  The web site lists their crime, their victim's age and sex, and sentence / time served.  More than half served ZERO time - were on probation.

Something's wrong with that.

318766[/snapback]

We're too busy putting away real criminals. You know, like people who smoke pot.