When McGahee Met Wilson...

I just came across this story about Willis. Not sure who posted it, but it tells us a lot about Mr McGahee...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posted June 10, 2004

A good friend of mine is a bartender in a fancy West Palm Beach restaurant. Ralph Wilson was in there awhile back at the bar, and my friend talked to him for a long time after saying what a big Bills fan he is. Ralph was apparently extremely gracious and talked for quite some time, and told my buddy this story...

The very first time that Willis McGahee ran into Ralph he walked up to him and said, "Are you Wilson?"

Ralph smiled and said, "Yes, I am."

Willis said, "I'm McGahee".

Ralph again smiled and said, "Yes, I know."

Willis goes on and says "What are you into? What kind of stuff do you like to do?"

Ralph replies that he likes to play tennis a lot and has been doing it forever.

Willis looks him over and says, "I bet I could beat you."

Ralph laughs and says, "Do you play?"

Willis just smiles and says, "Nope. But I could still beat you."

Ralph was apparently laughing as he told this story to my buddy, and loves McGahee and his sense of humor and competitive attitude.

Isn't Ralphie's wife in the top ten of female tennis players over the age of 50 in the world?

Ralphie's wife could beat WM in tennis, unless of course they were volleying at the net and he gave her a little stiff arm... :doh:

My best friend's sister's boyfriend heard from a guy he knows that this conversation never happened.

307763[/snapback]

Your best friend's sister's boyfriend or his guy friend are liars. :doh: Because I know two people that were there and heard it and one of him is one of my closest friends.

I wonder if the converastion wasn't more like:

"Are you Wilson?"

"Yes."

"Despite the fact that no one even thought I'd be able to trot again...despite the fact that you took a chance on me when virtually no one else would...I will leave if you don't pay me a crapload of money at the end of this year."

My best friend's sister's boyfriend heard from a guy he knows that this conversation never happened.

307763[/snapback]

Chuck ... did I ever tell you what HUGE dick you are? Who luvs ya baby?

Where I'm from, we address our elders formally: "Mr. Wilson, sir" not "Wilson." He's not the guy from Home Improvement, God rest his soul.

307883[/snapback]

That was one of the things I found funny about the story and about Willis himself. Respect comes from where you're coming from, and if he is just joking with the guy, as he clearly was, I find nothing wrong whatsoever with just calling him "Wilson". And apparently, Mr. Wilson found it very amusing and endearing. According to my buddy, Wilson loves McGahee. He also said that Ralph said that throughout the year, the rest of the players were always joking about the upcoming grudge match on the tennis court between Wilson and McGahee, and making bets on who would win.

Shhhhh... don't tell the NFL. :doh:

That was one of the things I found funny about the story and about Willis himself. Respect comes from where you're coming from, and if he is just joking with the guy, as he clearly was, I find nothing wrong whatsoever with just calling him "Wilson". And apparently, Mr. Wilson found it very amusing and endearing. According to my buddy, Wilson loves McGahee. He also said that Ralph said that throughout the year, the rest of the players were always joking about the upcoming grudge match on the tennis court between Wilson and McGahee, and making bets on who would win.

Shhhhh... don't tell the NFL.  :doh:

307904[/snapback]

Thank you for the explanation, Mr. Fair and Balanced.

Shhhhh... don't tell the NFL.  :D

307904[/snapback]

Kelly, that is definitely the cool thing about this little story. I can just picture Willis saying "Are you Wilson?" and can imagine Ralph's amusement.

Can you imagine yourself being that cool, just addressing the 1/4-billion dollar business owner like that?

I love Willis, and can't wait to see what he brings to the 2005 Bills.