Would Losman be the number 1 pick this year?

Rudyc80

Depends on who you talk to.  Me I still say Rodgers and Smith are better then him. But I think Rodgers and Smith are better then anyone but Manning from last year.

305935[/snapback]

Smith is a great QB, but I really didnt know that much about Losman, so I'd say he'd be an upper 1st round pick, top ten possibly. But I think Alex Smith is a top three.

Losman would have probably been the 1st QB taken this year. But even if you don't believe that, you'd have to believe he'd be taken before the 9th pick, because that's what the Bills gave-up points-wise to get him. However they got him a year early and for the salary of a 22nd pick. And had they waited until this year, they would have had to keep Bledsoe since they wouldn't be starting a rookie QB.

Losman would have probably been the 1st QB taken this year.  But even if you don't believe that, you'd have to believe he'd be taken before the 9th pick, because that's what the Bills gave-up points-wise to get him.  However they got him a year early and for the salary of a 22nd pick.  And had they waited until this year, they would have had to keep Bledsoe since they wouldn't be starting a rookie QB.

306010[/snapback]

well said.

i think rodgers would the first though...

i dont see why people like smith so much.

Losman would have probably been the 1st QB taken this year.  But even if you don't believe that, you'd have to believe he'd be taken before the 9th pick, because that's what the Bills gave-up points-wise to get him.  However they got him a year early and for the salary of a 22nd pick.  And had they waited until this year, they would have had to keep Bledsoe since they wouldn't be starting a rookie QB.

306010[/snapback]

I don't agree with that. Based on his college stats, and record I think he would still be a late 1st early second rounder this year.

are you nuts? Losman would not be there if we had the 10th overall pick of this draft no less early in the 2nd round.

im guessing you must be a bledsoe fan still upset hes gone.

Losman is the bext QB among the 3...plain and simple.

are you nuts? Losman would not be there if we had the 10th overall pick of this draft no less early in the 2nd round.

306036[/snapback]

Nope I agree Bledsoe was limited. But Losman in my opinion isn't the anwer either.

306036[/snapback]

based on what?

what did he do in college that was so special? what about him leads you to believe hes better than qbs who were able to win lots of games?

help me understand

based on what? 

what did he do in college that was so special?  what about him leads you to believe hes better than qbs who were able to win lots of games?

help me understand

306044[/snapback]

also - i live in no cal, and saw lots of rogers games. really dn't think he's that great either

tim couch comes to mind

Would Losman be the number one pick in this years draft?

HA! HA! HA!

Yeah....maybe to those who drink from Donahoes lackey kool-aid elixer!

Try asking that question to anyone thats not a Bills fan whose self esteem is not wrapped up in"Big Cat" Losmans development.

HA! HA! HA!

Yeah....maybe  to those who drink from Donahoes lackey kool-aid elixer!

Try asking that question to anyone thats not a Bills fan whose self esteem is not wrapped up in"Big Cat" Losmans development.

306069[/snapback]

Actually I am a fan of TD. I think overall he has done a decent job with the cap problems when he came in and put some decent talent on the field. I believe he screwed the pooch on the coaches, both Williams and the current one. I believe MM lost more games for us than Drew did last year.

I do believe Losman was a mistake for a starter, and will wind up being a decent backup. But that is one of his few player mistakes IMHO.

I believe MM lost more games for us than Drew did last year.

Thats statement above makes me feel better bout your thoughts on Losman.

DID YOU WATCH ANY BILLS GAMES LAST YEAR???

And you don't believe that JP is the answer because....?

Personally, I don't know if he is or isn't the answer. And I don't think anyone does, even the coaches. Sam Wyche appears to be his biggest supporter -- but he's well aware of the uncertainties associated with young QBs. We've yet to see Losman start an NFL game, and what we have seen has been in "controlled" situations when a game was already out of hand. I'm not too worried about his dreadful performance against the Pats, just as I'm not overly excited about his quality performance against the Browns.

I know the Bills' evaluation on him last year was that he had a better arm than any of the top 3 QBs (Manning, Roethlisberger, Rivers) coming out, other than Big Ben -- and that he was by far the most mobile of the 3. His perceived cocky attitude is the biggest reason that he was slotted by most as the 4th in this list. That could be a GOOD thing if he is cocky like Jim Kelly was... Or it could be a bad thing if he is cocky like Ryan Leaf was.

What this tells me is that he has the physical tools to succeed. But does he have the brains, physical toughness, mental toughness, and intangibles? Again, we just don't know. You could argue that his fluke leg injury last year could reveal a durability problem. Or... you could point out that he took a beating in college -- and kept on ticking.

Last year, JP was viewed as part of the top 4 QB mix by some teams, while others clearly had him in the second tier after the top 3 QBs. Some teams, like the Bills, Packers, and Rams viewed him as right there or better than the other 3. I know for a fact that the Packers had him ranked higher than Rivers, who went #4 overall last year.

This year, I think he'd be ranked right there with Smith and Rodgers. Considering that neither Smith or Rodgers are apparantly as highly regarded as Manning/Rivers/Roethlisberger, I think you can make the case that JP would be the top rated QB this year. Again, it depends on which team is picking though... Remember when we drafted Moulds back in 1996, some teams felt that the Bills got a late first round steal, while a GM for one team said he wouldn't have taken him in the 7th round. It's all about perception.

whatever...but since most of you already think losman sucks......please dont jump on the bandwagon if we start winning.

Go cheer for the 49ers when the take the great Alex Smith.

306114[/snapback]

Ahh yes, the old "If you don't beleiev we have the greatest players, until they leave" defense.

Believe it or not we have some very mediocre players on this team. All of you who questioned TD for picking Mcgahee saying Travis was great should go away too.

Or what about those that questioned getting rid of Cowart and getting Fletcher.

Folks sometimes we get good players sometimes we don't, I will root for the team, but I can still question players abilities and coaching ability. If you don't believe MM was responsible for the Oakland, Jacksonville and Pittsburgh losses you are very confused. MM got beat in every coaching decision.

Actually I am a fan of TD.  I think overall he has done a decent job with the cap problems when he came in and put some decent talent on the field.  I believe he screwed the pooch on the coaches, both Williams and the current one.  I believe MM lost more games for us than Drew did last year.

I do believe Losman was a mistake for a starter, and will wind up being a decent backup.  But that is one of his few player mistakes IMHO.

306093[/snapback]

If you believe that Losman was a mistake as a starter, before actually seeing him play a full game as a starter, can you realistically condemn someone for saying that he will be an excelllent starter? Which it seems to me that you have said or implied before?

The fact is, no one knows. Sure it's an opinion and you may well be right over time. But it seems to me that it's just as big an error to already say he was a mistake as it is to already say he is great.

Furthermore, the knock on him was always, it seems to me, that he was cocky and that he was raw. It also seems to me that the "cocky" rap on him has been greatly overstated, as evidenced by virtually everything that he has been saying and people have been saying about him since, and the way he has rubbed off on people. The rawness element of his game has surely, injury or not, been tempered by a full year on the Bills with Wyche and TC and Mularkey. He is not lacking in any of the physical tools. I am not sure where you said in an earlier post based on his college stats he wasn't that great. What don't you like about 60% passing and 33 TDs with 14 INTs on a lousy team?

I am not saying he is great, that is an unknown. But we need to give him a chance before we call him a mistake.

Ahh yes, the old "If you don't beleiev we have the greatest players, until they leave" defense. 

Believe it or not we have some very mediocre players on this team.  All of you who questioned TD for picking Mcgahee saying Travis was great should go away too. 

Or what about those that questioned getting rid of Cowart and getting Fletcher. 

Folks sometimes we get good players sometimes we don't, I will root for the team, but I can still question players abilities and coaching ability.  If you don't believe MM was responsible for the Oakland, Jacksonville and Pittsburgh losses you are very confused.  MM got beat in every coaching decision.

306135[/snapback]

I agree with everything but the last couple sentences.

MM has shown a better feel for the game than any Bills coach in a while.

The crucial gametime decisions vs. Jax and Oakland were both clearly correct.

If you believe that Losman was a mistake as a starter, before actually seeing him play a full game as a starter, can you realistically condemn someone for saying that he will be an excelllent starter? Which it seems to me that you have said or implied before?

The fact is, no one knows. Sure it's an opinion and you may well be right over time. But it seems to me that it's just as big an error to already say he was a mistake as it is to already say he is great.

Furthermore, the knock on him was always, it seems to me, that he was cocky and that he was raw. It also seems to me that the "cocky" rap on him has been greatly overstated, as evidenced by virtually everything that he has been saying and people have been saying about him since, and the way he has rubbed off on people. The rawness element of his game has surely, injury or not, been tempered by a full year on the Bills with Wyche and TC and Mularkey. He is not lacking in any of the physical tools. I am not sure where you said in an earlier post based on his college stats he wasn't that great. What don't you like about 60% passing and 33 TDs with 14 INTs on a lousy team?

I am not saying he is great, that is an unknown. But we need to give him a chance before we call him a mistake.

306139[/snapback]

Fair enough, maybe I am overstating that he will be a bust. But to implant him in the HOF and every other Bill that people seem to do around here is much worse. Prove me wrong, but I will still root for him. But if he sucks, there are too many folks with blinders on until the Bills cut or trade a player, then all of a sudden the guy sucked.

I agree with everything but the last couple sentences. 

MM has shown a better feel for the game than any Bills coach in a while. 

The crucial gametime decisions vs. Jax and Oakland were both clearly correct.

306165[/snapback]

He should have thrown the flag on the Travis run into the end zone. Clearly a coaching mistake.

We continued to get beat on defensive coverages late in the game, yet we didn't adjust and the players didn't know to knock it down 3 different times on 4th down.

Coaching mistakes.

HA! HA! HA!

306069[/snapback]

Actually the question has been asked multiple times to various "experts" and media outlets and most of them that I have seen or read say that Losman would be graded higher than the other two guys on most NFL draft boards.

As stated we don't know what Losman is going to turn out to be, but trying to go off of how many games his team Won or his stats on a very poor Tulane offense and compare him to guys in top notch programs surrounded by better players is foolish.

Fair enough, maybe I am overstating that he will be a bust.  But to implant him in the HOF and every other Bill that people seem to do around here is much worse.  Prove me wrong, but I will still root for him.  But if he sucks, there are too many folks with blinders on until the Bills cut or trade a player, then all of a sudden the guy sucked.

306172[/snapback]

Very true. Good point.

He should have thrown the flag on the Travis run into the end zone.  Clearly a coaching mistake. 

We continued to get beat on defensive coverages late in the game, yet we didn't adjust and the players didn't know to knock it down 3 different times on 4th down. 

Coaching mistakes.

306179[/snapback]

This is really a pet peeve of mine. I really cannot believe that fans will blame a clearly offensive coach for a defensive player not knocking the ball down on 4th and-the-ball-game, which has been drummed into that player's head by every defensive coach since 4th grade. IF it is a coach's mistake, which I don't even believe it is, it is the defensive coach's mistake. I don't see any way in hell one can blame Mike Mularkey for Nate not knocking that ball down.

Wrong,  Scouts had Losman at 89

http://proxy.espn.go.com/nfldraft/draft04/.../player?id=7843

Smith at 97

http://proxy.espn.go.com/nfldraft/draft05/.../player?id=9077

and Rodgers at 98

http://proxy.espn.go.com/nfldraft/draft05/.../player?id=8743

Try again

BTW 89 ranking gets you to be about the 30-35 best players in the draft.  So saying that, Losman would be a early 2nd rounder this year.

277335[/snapback]

I think VABills answered this question in an earlier thread. I hate the SEARCH button. :D

How?  They had Ben at 99 and he did very average but started.  Manning sucked so who knows there.  Rivers never played.

306218[/snapback]

Ummmm... because they had Losman rated as a "high second" 30-35 pick and he went 22 with other suitors hot on his heels? Clearly they missed the boat on him. But it's not a strict science.

He should have thrown the flag on the Travis run into the end zone.  Clearly a coaching mistake.

It was hardly "clear" at the time. Hell there was a lot of discussion on the board about whether Travis crossed the line, and I recall being the only one who was adamant about him having done so. But in any case, he's relying on his coaches upstairs who have seen the replays.

Coaching mistakes.

A veteran DB should know to knock the ball down. The direct responsibility is the positional coach's, and there is some debate as to whether Jimmy Smith pushed-off on Clements on that particular play. Hardly reason to hang MM because he wasn't on the field to mess-up those plays, just like he didn't cause Villarrial to hold (or not) on that crucial 3rd down run by Willis that would have sealed the game and made that final drive moot.

BTW, those were MM's first 2 games as a HC. Kind of harsh to judge him based on those, but I guess it goes with the territory since you're calling JP a bust based on his limited time last year. Me I'm not convinced JP will be great, but I'm willing to give him a chance and be optimistic about him. The bottom line is there was and IS no better prospect that the Bills would have had a chance to take in last year's or this year's draft, since Smith and Rodgers will be gone in the top 5, and I don't think too much of them anyway, much less the rest of the QB's this year. I like that JP has all the physical tools, seems to have the attitude and work ethic, having put-in lots of hours working in Buffalo this off-season, and will be working with a legendary QB coach.

I hate when I am right, and consistent.  :D

306213[/snapback]

You're wrong that the Bills would be "lucky" to get anything for Travis Henry.

You're wrong about MM being respondsible for the Pittsburg game when it was Bledsoe's 3 turnovers leading directly to 10 Pittsburg points that was where the blame squarely sat.

You're more wrong than right. :D

are those ratings based off of that individual draft class or are they constant?

306240[/snapback]

Constant from year to year. I will try to pull out the writeup. But it is something like 90 and above is ready to start and will be a career long term starter likely. 80-89 was a solid player, but not superstar potential.

90-100 Rare Prospect Player demonstrates rare abilities and can create mismatches that have an obvious impact on the game. Is a premier college player that has all the skill to take over a game and play at a championship level. He rates in the top 5 players in the nation at his position and is considered a first round draft prospect.

80-89 Outstanding Prospect Player has abilities to create mismatches versus most opponents in the NFL. A feature player that has an impact on the outcome of the game. Cannot be shut down by a single player and plays on a consistent level week in and week out. He rates in the top 10 at his position and is considered a second round draft prospect.

70-79 Solid Prospect Still a standout player at the college level that is close to being an elite player. He has no glaring weaknesses and will usually win his individual matchups, but does not dominate in every game, especially when matched up against the top players in the country. He will usually rate in the top third of players at his position and is considered a third round draft prospect.

60-69 Good Prospect This player is an good starter that will give a solid effort week in and week out, but he is overmatched versus the better players in the nation. His weaknesses will be exposed against top competition. He is usually a prospect that is missing something from his game. For example, he has the size and skills to be an outstanding prospect, but lacks the speed. He will usually rate in the top half of the players at his position and is considered a middle round draft choice.

50-59 Adequate Prospect These are usually players that play at a high level in college, but lack some measurables or skills to play at that same level in the NFL. He may be a player that has a lot of developmental qualities, or could be a player that will contribute right away on special teams or in a situational capacity. He will usually rate in the second-third at his position and is considered a fifth round draft choice.

21-49 Borderline Draft Prospect These are players that teams like something about, but certainly do not have the full package in terms of NFL talent. A lot of times, teams will take chances on character players or developmental type athletes with this grade. And often, these are players that come from smaller schools or did not standout at the college level. NFL teams are looking for 'diamonds in the rough' with this type of prospect. He will usually rate in the bottom third of players at his position and will be considered a late round draft choice or un-drafted free agent.

20 Free Agent Prospect These are players that did not make our original 'evaluation list' but are prospects that need to be monitored. Especially in the pre-season, these players will fluctuate up and down depending on performance in their final year of eligibility.

10 Not a legitimate Prospect These are players that lack NFL measurables and/or skills. They are players that we feel would not even make a solid contribution as a training camp body.