2020 Draft Hypothetical

On 2/2/2020 at 1:11 AM, ScottLaw said:

Tell that to Atlanta who made an even bolder trade to land Julio Jones..... I’d be all for a trade up considering where this team is currently at in its development and the amount of picks they have.

How many SBs has Atlanta won? You act like that argument is a clear and obvious winner. It's not. There's still a lot of questions about whether they should have done that, and that certainly includes Atlanta fans.

That trade is still questioned by many. Nobody doubts for a second that Julio is terrific, he just is. But there's no particular reason to think that the huge bounty of picks they traded away to get him aren't in large part responsible for their dropoff after that trade. The year before that trade they went 13-3. The year of the trade they dropped three games to 10-6. Then 13-3 and things looked good but the draft class was again weak and the next year ... uh oh, 4-12, then 6-10, then 8-8. Only the next year did they finally appear to have recovered from those weak drafts.

A trade up for the Bills this year? Sure, if you're trading away a 5th, maybe, or a 5th and a 7th. Absolutely. I'm in. A major tradeup? For a WR??? In a draft that's extremely rich in quality WR prospects? That makes no sense whatsoever. Assuming it's not for WR, I still doubt the FO would consider it unless they somehow acquire a few more picks before the draft.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

How many SBs has Atlanta won? You act like that argument is a clear and obvious winner. It's not. There's still a lot of questions about whether they should have done that, and that certainly includes Atlanta fans.

That trade is still questioned by many. Nobody doubts for a second that Julio is terrific, he just is. But there's no particular reason to think that the huge bounty of picks they traded away to get him aren't in large part responsible for their dropoff after that trade. The year before that trade they went 13-3. The year of the trade they dropped three games to 10-6. Then 13-3 and things looked good but the draft class was again weak and the next year ... uh oh, 4-12, then 6-10, then 8-8. Only the next year did they finally appear to have recovered from those weak drafts.

A trade up for the Bills this year? Sure, if you're trading away a 5th, maybe, or a 5th and a 7th. Absolutely. I'm in. A major tradeup? For a WR??? In a draft that's extremely rich in quality WR prospects? That makes no sense whatsoever. Assuming it's not for WR, I still doubt the FO would consider it unless they somehow acquire a few more picks before the draft.

And that's what happens when you hit a home run with the pick.  What happens if you don't was put on display by the Bills in 2014.  So I couldn't agree more with what you are saying.  You stay put or try to get more picks in this draft.  WR is a position that relies upon so many other things working well to be effective.  I honestly hope the Bills take an Edge Rusher and an OL prospect and possibly two WRs in their first 4 picks.  They should also use a pick on another back.  Perine is who I would target, because he is a solid back and also a good receiver that is very effective in the screen game.  

There will be really good WRs available into the 3rd and 4th rounds, and those at the top really don't look like they are Julio Jones type players.  There is some differentiation in talent, but it's not a huge dropoff after a couple of guys.  The top guys aren't some incredible combination of size, speed, and skill like Calvin Johnson, Randy Moss, or Julio Jones.  There is a good chance that top WR picks won't be as successful as the later picks, and that the best players at WR in this draft may come from the 2nd and 3rd rounds. 

12 hours ago, Vod Kanockers said:

Who are you thinking? Green Bay? New Orleans? Don’t worry, there are no wrong answers.. Just a discussion about football and possibilities.. It’s ok, you’ll figure it out, eventually.. ?

(However, the CORRECT answer should be, Buffalo) ?

Just so you understand the point of the point of the original post to which I responded. I was agreeing with another person that was tired of the mindless rhetorical drivel that is purveyed as absolute knowledge of future Bills actions.  I prefer to read opinions that are based on some semblance of knowledge and data.  I do hope that your version of the correct answer above proves to be accurate.  ?