Bills led NFL in # of drives entering opponent territory and stalling at or outside 35 yard line with no attempt at points

Big Turk

This was one of the biggest problems I saw for the offense this year. The number of time a drive ended in opponent territory where they were not quite in FG range and there was no attempt at points. 

Using Pro Football References drive finder I wanted to see if what I saw was as bad as what I thought it was. Long story short, it was. Worst in the NFL in fact.

Bills had 26 such drives this year, 6 of which STARTED in opponent territory. Steelers were 2nd with 25 such drives.

Bottom line is they need to figure out a way to make plays in this area to get into scoring range because they really struggled, whether it was 3rd down sacks taken by Allen, penalties or poor execution it happened far too often. In comparison, New Orleans had only 9 such drives all year.

If Daboll doesn't get a HC job he needs to determine the reason for the struggles and make some adjustments next year because they cannot be worst in the NFL again if they want to be an improved offense. 

Yesterday was a prime example. What team gets to the opponent 25 yard line with a first down and ends up 4 plays later with the opponent having the ball on their own side of the field after taking another sack on a 4th and 27 play?? Its unfathomable at any time but ESPECIALLY late in the 4th quarter in a game where you need a FG to tie it. Luckily they were able to make the FG on the next drive after the D made a heroic stand, but still. No excuse for that series of atrocious plays.

Edited by matter2003
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I actually posted in a thread about this around week 10 or so. I went back through each game and looked at each drive that ended inside the opponents 40 yard line that resulted in no points. At that time, I believe it was around 20 or so of such drives. They were really good in the red zone; however, there were a lot of drives that ended with no points between the 40 and 20 (and some in the red zone).

I watched each of those drives and there wasn't a single, primary factor as far as I could see. Drives ended on bad decisions / bad throws by Allen, penalties, dropped passes, questionable play calls, turnovers, missed FGs, and some good defensive plays.

It absolutely was a major difference in being near the top of the league in scoring or in the bottom of the league. It is an area they need to improve on next year.

Edited by billsfan1959

3 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

I actually posted in a thread about this around week 10 or so. I went back through each game and looked at each drive that ended inside the opponents 40 yard line that resulted in no points. At that time, I believe it was around 20 or so of such drives. They were really good in the red zone; however, there were a lot of drives that ended with no points between the 40 and 20 (and some in the red zone).

I watched each of those drives and there wasn't a single, primary factor as far as I could see. Drives ended on bad decisions / bad throws by Allen, penalties, dropped passes, questionable play calls, turnovers, missed FGs, and some good defensive plays.

It absolutely was a major difference in being near the top of the league in scoring or in the bottom of the league. It is an area they need to improve on next year.

Yup, totally agree. It seemed like anything that could go wrong did when they got to that part of the field too many times.

I took out missed FGs because I wanted to see how many times there was no attempt at scoring.

• Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, billsfan714 said:

It's a major problem, no doubt.    Point to me this O needs more playmakers.

Yeah we need a true #1 WR that can push Brown down to #2 and Beasley to #3.

Lots of money and draft capital we need to focus on the O again and shore up a few areas on the D which is still mostly young and good.