Northwestern DT Castillo

JoeF

Wow...that would explain why he looked so dominant at times.  Welcome to Day Two, kid...you just blew millions of dollars off of your contract for that one.

304223[/snapback]

I'm sure it will hurt him but not sure how much. The story is that he only used steroids after his career was over, because an elbow injury wasn't healing fast enough and he wanted to perform at the combine. That is where his positive test came from. His coach said he never failed a test at college, so all film of him actually playing (and being dominant) would be without steroids. Hard to know who or what to believe, but if the scouts and teams can check and assure themselves that he was never on the juice while on the field, it may cost him only one round, or perhaps not even that. Will be interesting to see, and he will probably be a bonafide steal for some team if he falls to round three.

Actually, I would love for the Bills to take him in round three if that were the case.

maybe I am a fool, but who cares, I know that it is a bad example to show children, but come on. I knew several police officers in my home town that were using it, no one said anything and everyone knew, but as long as they did their job, everyone was happy. now I know that this is a different life, and it gives him an unfair advantage, but if he is a good kid, that made a mistake, let it slide, and move on. If he is there in the 3rd round draft him!!! he is ranked by many to be the top DT in the draft, we need a DT and he is one.

Many football players took steriods at one point in their career. maybe it was in high school, in the summer time to bulk up whatever, but I'll say that at least 70% of all football players used something at one point.

we are all too steriod crazy.

Warren Sapp popped for bong hits of Panama Red right before the draft years back. Really hurt his draft stock. :D

If Castillo can prove the roid thing is behind him, he'll be picked quickly. He has extraordinary talent.

maybe I am a fool, but who cares, I know that it is a bad example to show children, but come on.  I knew several police officers in my home town that were using it, no one said anything and everyone knew, but as long as they did their job, everyone was happy.  now I know that this is a different life, and it gives him an unfair advantage, but if he is a good kid, that made a mistake, let it slide, and move on.  If he is there in the 3rd round draft him!!!  he is ranked by many to be the top DT in the draft, we need a DT and he is one.

Many football players took steriods at one point in their career.  maybe it was in high school, in the summer time to bulk up whatever, but I'll say that at least 70% of all football players used something at one point. 

we are all too steriod crazy.

304498[/snapback]

I agree with you for the most part, but what they need to know for sure, for a high draft pick, is whether or not the steroid use had an effect on his play. If he was better with the roids then you want to stay away from him, obviously, because he may not be as good and strong and tough without them. If you cannot tell for sure, it may not be a risk you feel you can take with your first choice in the draft. If you find out he played his whole career without them, which appears to be the case, then I agree with you and chalk it up to a youthful mistake.

I agree with you for the most part, but what they need to know for sure, for a high draft pick, is whether or not the steroid use had an effect on his play. If he was better with the roids then you want to stay away from him, obviously, because he may not be as good and strong and tough without them. If you cannot tell for sure, it may not be a risk you feel you can take with your first choice in the draft. If you find out he played his whole career without them, which appears to be the case, then I agree with you and chalk it up to a youthful mistake.

304508[/snapback]

Tony Mandrich.

I tend to agree with Kelly and frogger on this one. Three things about this situation:

1) The kid owned up to the issue before it became public and admitted his mistake.

2) He and his coach both collaborate that he did not use them during the season but afterward to assist in recovery of an injury

3) Everything I have read about him says good kid, good player

It would be niave to assume this is the first kid that was a user at the time of the draft--

He's a talented kid---who took responsibility for his actions--if he becomes good value--which most pundits say is anything lower than the second round with him--I say get him to Buffalo--

I tend to agree with Kelly and frogger on this one.  Three things about this situation:

1) The kid owned up to the issue before it became public and admitted his mistake.

2) He and his coach both collaborate that he did not use them during the season but afterward to assist in recovery of an injury

3) Everything I have read about him says good kid, good player

It would be niave to assume this is the first kid that was a user at the time of the draft--

He's a talented kid---who took responsibility for his actions--if he becomes good value--which most pundits say is anything lower than the second round with him--I say get him to Buffalo--

304531[/snapback]

Again, I see little to really abuse the guy for, and would love to see the Bills get him in the third. BUT... I am not sure that I agree with your post, simply because it seems to me that he didn't own up to his mistake until he got caught. He tested positive at the combine, and then sent the letter. At least that is how it appears to me. I don't know either way, but I doubt it, that he would have sent the letter had he not tested positive.

Again, I see little to really abuse the guy for, and would love to see the Bills get him in the third. BUT... I am not sure that I agree with your post, simply because it seems to me that he didn't own up to his mistake until he got caught. He tested positive at the combine, and then sent the letter. At least that is how it appears to me. I don't know either way, but I doubt it, that he would have sent the letter had he not tested positive.

304537[/snapback]

Kelly, sorry I misread your initial response.

So the only thing i have in reply is that I am not sure the NFL has any policy about making this stuff public. In fact it would probably violate HIPAA regulations since its medical data for the league to do this.

Noone from the NFL ever confirmed any incidents with Sapp, etc if I recall correctly. They were all media speculation without confirmation. While the threat of this becoming public is realistically strong--the kid still took the time to write to all 32 teams to admit his mistake.

Contrast that to Barry Bonds who still hasn't admitted something that appears in court documents or Jason Giambi who for all his press conferences still hasn't said outright that he is a user...I think this kid is making a meaningful effort to own up to this and is displaying some high charachter in comparison to lots of others...again just my take...

Come on now!  Does anyone REALLY believe that he JUST took them after his college career was over, and he took them to recover from an elbow injury?  I sure don't.  I'd take him off the draft board and sign him as an UFA only.

304555[/snapback]

It is very possible yes, but I am not sure verifiable. First, Northwestern is a pretty good school, and while not above shenanigans, and having had their share of a few rumors over the last few years, they may very well be able to prove by their testing and documented results whether one of their players has been clean or not.

And as a football fan you know damn well what a good workout at the combine or a bad workout at the combine can mean to a player who is projected in the low first or high second round. A good workout could mean a million or several million more dollars to a kid that does great and a million or several million less to a kid that does poorly. So hell yes I could believe that a guy with an injury that is not healing well could take some steroids to try to get his combine numbers up.

Now, it may not say much for his smarts. :D