Lexis Hybrid Preorders Set Record

I've heard there is a waiting list for basically all the hybrid cars that are available (and those that will be available).

The only bad news is that supposedly hybrids now are twice as likely to have engine problems as conventional cars. I suspect that will even out as they become more accepted and we get a few more iterations. The same way CD players were less likely to skip a few years after they were introduced.

This is great news.

There is a waiting list for the Prius - which is the butt-ugliest car on the road excepting only the Aztec and that Honda box-on-wheels. The Prius is got some high-tech whizbag stuff on the interior, which makes people forget the outside.

You can get Civic Hybrids without too much trouble. That's what we're getting, it looks just like a regular Civic and TCO is lower than Prius. We've decided that people who drive the Prius WANT everyone to know they're being conscientious, which is fine. But their cars are BUTT ugly.

I don't know about the Ford hybrid. I have had such bad experiences with America cars, particularly Ford, that there's no way I'd consider buying the first model.

I so wanted to jump on your "public school" education.  Then again, you could have used the argument that "I" is right next to "U" on the QWERTY keyboard.

;)

;)  ;)  :)

22411[/snapback]

You could have. It wouldn't have hurt my feelings. I'll never spell Lexus wrong again. But hay (sic).

You could have.  It wouldn't have hurt my feelings.  I'll never spell Lexus wrong again.  But hay (sic).

22434[/snapback]

I am only kidding!

I trust you... Then again, it was in the title header... I guess that counts for something?

And screw the hybrids... when one of my cars go, the Caddy STS is the one. Then you can call me a true "Limousine Liberal".

;)

Factually, it takes years to break even with these vehicles vs. conventional high-milage vehicles. Their appeal is to well-heeled folks who want to do the "in" thing (see the Bimmer/Jeep Cherokee crowd of several years ago), who will dump them off once the fad fades, and they also attract a few serious technophiles.

Many have more money than brains. People used to get in fights over Cabbage Patch Dolls.

22507[/snapback]

Often true. I actually was thinking in your post that you meant it took years for companies to break even, and deleted it after realizing my misinterpretation.

Even so, EVEN IF it takes years to break even, if you CAN break even this seems to be worth it with the good it does for the environment. (I'd argue it's worth it regardless, but then again money ain't everything for me, and I don't have a car!)

An aquaintance of mine has the Prius and its cool as anything. Really high-tech head to toe. Not very powerful though and not much for the driving enthusiast at all. So if a car is anything BUT a means from point A to point B, these cars are a little "light" in the "fun to drive" dept.

But since the guy I know who has one is a test pilot and instructor for an aircraft manufacturer, he MIGHT have some OTHER toys to "play" with!

An aquaintance of mine has the Prius and its cool as anything. Really high-tech head to toe. Not very powerful though and not much for the driving enthusiast at all. So if a car is anything BUT a means from point A to point B, these cars are a little "light" in the "fun to drive" dept.

But since the guy I know who has one is a test pilot and instructor for an aircraft manufacturer, he MIGHT have some OTHER toys to "play" with!

22576[/snapback]

There are so many words emphasized in your post that I have no idea what you're saying.

I ditto AD. It is nice to see that the marketplace can dictate our environmental concerns: this is the thing that everyone on the Left said would never happen, i.e., that consumers would never be willing to spend more to get enviro-friendly products. But lo and behold, people are rushing to get all the hybrids.

I disagree with a previous suggestion that this is a fad. People want these cars, which cost (in the case of the Civic), about 20% more than their gas-fueled counterparts. That's a good chunk of change for a small boring car. I think people are motivated by high gas prices, some of the dependence on foreign oil arguments, and a concern for the environment.

I'd like to think that people were motivated by the fact that only about 10% of the US can justify having a truck/4WD, but I know that's not the case. I'd also like to think that people were motivated by the fact that most cars in the US are single-driver commuter cars that rarely carry more than one passenger, but again, I know this is not the case.

There is a waiting list for the Prius - which is the butt-ugliest car on the road excepting only the Aztec and that Honda box-on-wheels.  The Prius is got some high-tech whizbag stuff on the interior, which makes people forget the outside.

You can get Civic Hybrids without too much trouble.  That's what we're getting, it looks just like a regular Civic and TCO is lower than Prius.  We've decided that people who drive the Prius WANT everyone to know they're being conscientious, which is fine.  But their cars are BUTT ugly.

I don't know about the Ford hybrid. I have had such bad experiences with America cars, particularly Ford, that there's no way I'd consider buying the first model.

22427[/snapback]

I think my wife is the only person that likes the way an Aztec looks...it a good thing she makes the money or I'd leave her... :doh:

I think my wife is the only person that likes the way an Aztec looks...it a good thing she makes the money or I'd leave her... :doh:

22677[/snapback]

It really is ugly - I hope she doesn't like that green Aztec, it's the worst.

It may be practical though, because it's high up and can fit stuff. I just can't see any beauty in it though - it's not like the VW Thing which was so ugly it was cool. Or even Hummers - I'd never own one, but the H2s do look sorta cool, for a gimmick car.

It really is ugly - I hope she doesn't like that green Aztec, it's the worst.

It may be practical though, because it's high up and can fit stuff.  I just can't see any beauty in it though - it's not like the VW Thing which was so ugly it was cool.  Or even Hummers - I'd never own one, but the H2s do look sorta cool, for a gimmick car.

22684[/snapback]

I've wondered why they don't make that in the horrible beige color that was prevalent in the '70s and '80s. That would pretty much complete the "trailerparky" look they seemed to be going for.