Time Warner/Comcast wins Adelphia bid

Tom

I'm not sure I'm following how the amount of spam in your inbox can be used to evaluate an ISP. What would the ISP have to do with it?

299636[/snapback]

Time Warner claims it blocks spam. I use their email services and seemed to get more now that ever before. A few of my friends have the same problem.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I think I dealt with Adelphia in Buffalo back when I was in college and don't recall ever having a problem. Plus, I like that deal they used to have: 99 bucks for all the cable channels and high speed internet.

299626[/snapback]

How long ago was this "deal"? I have Adelphia digital cable and powerlink without any premium channels and I'm over $110 a month.

I'm not sure I'm following how the amount of spam in your inbox can be used to evaluate an ISP. What would the ISP have to do with it?

299636[/snapback]

The ISP should be able to filter incoming spam using a product like Spam Assassin or Brightmail.

CW

Time Warner claims it blocks spam. I use their email services and seemed to get more now that ever before. A few of my friends have the same problem.

299639[/snapback]

My cable ISP (Cox) claims to have a spam blocker as well. I finally got around to activating it on my email accts, but I don't see much of a difference either - I think the spammers are figuring out ways around them.

My email client is Thunderbird by Mozilla, and I've been very happy with the filtering they use. I trained it to identify what is and isn't spam, and now 99% of the spam I get doesn't see the inbox - it goes right into the junk folder. If you're getting that much spam, maybe you should give Thunderbird a try for a few weeks and see if it's any better. Just a thought...

haha Brightmail sucks....

299649[/snapback]

Why do you say that? Our testing at work shows that it's doing a very good job and we're looking to implement it into production soon.

CW

4. High speed internet: It's slow and spam is a big problem with your email.

299626[/snapback]

I seriously doubt they will slow down the hardware they have in place now via Adelphia Powerlink...

That would make no sense.

The one complaint I have heard though ( and googled ) is that they do put a download limit on your connection...If they determine you are downloading too much you will get a warning letter, if you do it again they will suspend your account :lol:

THAT SUCKS..

Why do you say that?  Our testing at work shows that it's doing a very good job and we're looking to implement it into production soon.

CW

299680[/snapback]

Because it does not work...

It does not filter email that comes in properly and there is no way for a customer to edit the spam list ...

I am relieved I will no longer need to deal with Adelphia for broadband service.  Any idea how much TW charges for their broadband (interested in just the broadband price without any cable service).

299691[/snapback]

Why do you say that, what kind of problems are you having?

Because it does not work...

It does not filter email that comes in properly and there is no way for a customer to edit the spam list ...

299687[/snapback]

Or the fact that a lot of these anti-spam lists are made by webhosting companies. What they do is blacklist a lot of their competitors IP's, and then sell these list to ISP. The webhosting field can be really shady.

Or the fact that a lot of these anti-spam lists are made by webhosting companies.  What they do is blacklist a lot of their competitors IP's, and then sell these list to ISP.  The webhosting field can be really shady.

299699[/snapback]

That's not a limitation with Brightmail, that's the ISPs fault.

I was just wondering about Brightmail the product, as our tests here show that it's working very well. Wasn't sure why he didn't like it.

CW

I am relieved I will no longer need to deal with Adelphia for broadband service.  Any idea how much TW charges for their broadband (interested in just the broadband price without any cable service)?

299691[/snapback]

I believe broadband without cable will run you 49.95 a month. If you have cable you can get one year at 29.95 a month, then it jumps to 39.95. Don't even pay the 39.95 though. Just call up and say you're switching to Frontier DSL because of the price and they'll keep extending the offer. Dirty crooks.

I beleive broadband with cable will run you 49.95 a month. If you have cable you can get one year at 29.95 a month, then it jumps to 39.95. Don't even pay the 39.95 though. Just call up and say you're switching to Frontier DSL because of the price and they'll keep extending the offer. Dirty crooks.

299720[/snapback]

$39.95 is a very good price for Broadband

We charge $42.95 for download speed up to 4000kb and upload speed up to 384kb, well actually the boot file is at 420kb.

think about how much AOL is, $24.95 or something and the MOST you can get is up to 56k, which most of the time does not happen...