Sustained Excellence, a fancy term for having a top 3 QB

PlayoffsPlease

On 9/25/2019 at 12:07 AM, Thurman#1 said:

Brady really is showing amazing longevity. But at his age, injuries start becoming a factor, and they're not predictable. I doubt we see a few more, personally. My bet is this year and maybe next year. And I'm not one of those guys who has been predicting his downfall for a decade. Just the opposite, I have always said that you can't predict it with him, as he doesn't get hit much.

But we've finally started to see his arm strength lose the top few percent, and I don't see him thriving at 44, I just think the odds against that will finally be too high.

An opinion? Absolutely. But a reasonable one.

Brady barely gets touched, he knows exactly where the ball is going 95% of the time pre snap, that is the major factor why the ball comes out so quickly.  It is like a head coach at the line of scrimmage.   Yes his physical skills are deteriorating but he brings a mental aspect of the game that is unparalleled and not getting dull with age.  He doesnt need a rocket arm for his 10 yard slants, yeah he can lob a ball downfield a few times a game to keep the defense "honest".  In the meantime they build the Pats to have a great d (just like they had when Brady first started), short distance slant possession receivers and a great running game.  Days of them needing a Randy Moss are long gone, which is why I never really understood the entire AB saga, except it was a way for Belichek to thumb his nose at everyone.

I really really hate to admit it but I would not be shocked if Brady plays for another 5 years.

On 9/24/2019 at 9:10 PM, PlayoffsPlease said:

Fans seem to be hanging their hats on the concept that there somehow there is a requirement to have short term mediocrity or failure in order to build for a period of sustained excellence.  Not sure 21st history really bears that out. 

I think sustained excellence is fancy word for having one of the leagues top 3 or 5 QBs for an extended period of time.  Bills fans are skewed by their relation with the Patriots.  I am going to go out on a limb and say their run of success is a fluke, that won't happen again in my lifetime. 

In truth only 4 teams have really had a period of sustained excellence in the this century. Indianapolis with Peyton Manning, Steelers with Ben Rothlisberger and the Patriots with Tom Brady and the Saints with Drew Brees.   Other teams have had intermittent successes with a different model, notably the Ravens.   But no team without a future HOF QB who truly gaps out from their peers has accomplished that. ( I am defining sustained excellence as appearing in divisional playoff games more than 50% of the time for an extended period of years. Anything less would be more like "sustained good".)  One great QB Aaron Rodgers only had intermittent success. So HOF QB is not the only thing for "sustained excellence" just the minimum starting requirements. 

I don't think top 10 QB really gets you sustained success.  Think Matt Ryan or Cam Newton or Russell Wilson. Their teams had their moments when everything came together. 

Fortunately Josh Allen is a future HOF QB, and he provides the minimum building block to lead the teams to playoff wins and championships for the next dozen years.  Starting this year. 

The Colts should have been better -- they had Manning one of the all time greats and the closest thing to Brady's equal.. why didn't they? stupid coaching, and terrible team building. (they shortened his career with those god awful O lines) Manning was the team while Brady was PART of a team.

Steelers -- Have been good BEFORE Big Ben, they been a playoff team almost every year for like 30 years. they are rarely rebuilding but rather reloading. I dare say Tomlin is the orst HC in the NFL  now and being exposed without AB/Bell/ Or Ben

Baltimore - I noticed you forgot them? because they dont fit the mold of a great QB leading them? lol

13 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Brady barely gets touched, he knows exactly where the ball is going 95% of the time pre snap, that is the major factor why the ball comes out so quickly.  It is like a head coach at the line of scrimmage.   Yes his physical skills are deteriorating but he brings a mental aspect of the game that is unparalleled and not getting dull with age.  He doesnt need a rocket arm for his 10 yard slants, yeah he can lob a ball downfield a few times a game to keep the defense "honest".  In the meantime they build the Pats to have a great d (just like they had when Brady first started), short distance slant possession receivers and a great running game.  Days of them needing a Randy Moss are long gone, which is why I never really understood the entire AB saga, except it was a way for Belichek to thumb his nose at everyone.

I really really hate to admit it but I would not be shocked if Brady plays for another 5 years.

AB was Bills way trying get the Pats a 19-0 season. the only thing they have not accomplished with him and Brady. (Thats My Opinion)

• Like (+1) 1

58 minutes ago, PatsFanNH said:

The Colts should have been better -- they had Manning one of the all time greats and the closest thing to Brady's equal.. why didn't they? stupid coaching, and terrible team building. (they shortened his career with those god awful O lines) Manning was the team while Brady was PART of a team.

Steelers -- Have been good BEFORE Big Ben, they been a playoff team almost every year for like 30 years. they are rarely rebuilding but rather reloading. I dare say Tomlin is the orst HC in the NFL  now and being exposed without AB/Bell/ Or Ben

Baltimore - I noticed you forgot them? because they dont fit the mold of a great QB leading them? lol

AB was Bills way trying get the Pats a 19-0 season. the only thing they have not accomplished with him and Brady. (Thats My Opinion)

Sometimes reading is hard. 

image.thumb.png.4711acdac4acfc29d3efe4bfacbe7a61.png