OT--Rituals after pope's death

I am not catholic, so i don't understand many of the rituals... Anyways, what's the deal with the ring being broken? Apartment sealed?? Lying in state?? where will he actually be buried? I'm not about to join some religious forum, so i'm using TBD as a guide to help me understand these and other questions. In all due respect though to catholics and the Polish people, i give my respects and prayers.

It is broken because it is his seal for private letters that he sends. Since that is his "private" letters the ring and hid seal are broken so they may not be used to pass down decrees against his wishes after he dies.

One of the coolest things is the conclave, which is the papl election proceeding. All the electors are sealed into a room and vote until a 2/3 +1 majority is reached. They communicate the results of every vote to the outside world through smoke signals, black smoke meaning a vote was inconclusive and white smoke annoucing the election of the new pope. http://www.answers.com/topic/papal-election is a good site giving some general knowledge about the process. http://www.cnn.com/SPECIALS/1999/pope/selection/ is also good. Interestingly enough the new pope may continue the rarity of a non-Italian pope and may actually be from outside of Europe. Cardinals from Africa and Latin America, the 2 biggest concentrations of Catholics in the world are among the favorites. However, as the famous saying goes "he who enters the conclave as pope, leaves as cardinal", meaning that politics often proves to knock off the favorites.

It is broken because it is his seal for private letters that he sends.  Since that is his "private" letters the ring and hid seal are broken so they may not be used to pass down decrees against his wishes after he dies.

294255[/snapback]

oh, so its like a stamper almost?? OR is it a ring that he dips in wax?

On a side note, the lady who was shot with the pope, from buffalo, my mother worked on when she returned after that took place. Again, i'm not catholic, but its cool to know that i only had a 2 degree seperation from him.

oh, so its like a stamper almost?? 

294272[/snapback]

I don't know why, but this cracked me up......picture the Pope with his stamper ring and an ink pad lol.

Hey, I'm Catholic so I'm allowed to find humor in it :angry:

Cardinals from Africa and Latin America, the 2 biggest concentrations of Catholics in the world are among the favorites. However, as the famous saying goes "he who enters the conclave as pope, leaves as cardinal", meaning that politics often proves to knock off the favorites.

294257[/snapback]

Has there ever been a non-white Pope?

Interesting write-up on the "possible" next Holy See.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=4570955

I am of the opinion that the Church will probably go within itself to bring it back to its roots and put a more conservative Pope in.

Here is my best guess, but then one never knows.

Christoph Schönborn (Austria, 1/22/45). Archbishop of Vienna. Ordained at 25 and a cardinal at 53, Schönborn comes from a priestly background: Over the centuries, some 19 members of his family have been archbishops, bishops or priests. He is fluent in several languages, including English, Italian and French, as well as German, and has traveled widely around the world. His aristocratic sensibilities have not always served him well, however. In recent years, he has made political stumbles in his own archdiocese, and has developed a reputation for being rigid in his theological views. Still, some Vatican watchers consider him the man of the future.

I have heard of Napier being a strong in the past and with his personal struggles may mirror a lot of what Pope John Paul II brought to the table.

The other candidate who I have heard mentioned to help control the stem of change that the US and more liberal countries are trying to impose on the Church maybe be Carrera.

Norberto Rivera Carrera (Mexico, 6/6/42). Archbishop of Mexico City. Ordained at 24, Cardinal at 55, Rivera Carrera has been outspoken against globalization, poverty, and political corruption in Mexico. He taught ecclesiology at the Pontifical University of Mexico in the 1980s, and since 1995, he has served as Archbishop of Mexico City, one of the most complex archdioceses in the world. Although he has strong social justice credentials, Rivera Carrera is a conservative on virtually all church matters; for example, he closed a seminary that he said was teaching Marxism under the guise of liberation theology.

If he were selected he would ensure harsh punishment for those within the cloth who do not follow the doctrines and abuse their power. He would also probably take a stricker stance on divorce, abortion, gay rights. His greatest failing maybe his coming from "the Americas", but I believe Mexico City Archdiocese maybe the largest in the world.