NFL.com ranks each teams greatest "Franchise QB"

20 minutes ago, 416BillsFan said:

I think it'll be PM based on the preamble that only SB-era years will be included. They specifically use him as an example:

Because we only considered a player's performance from 1967 onward, some notable passers, such as Bart Starr and Don Meredith, aren't included, while others, like Johnny Unitas, only have post-'66 production factored into their franchise QB eligibility.

Looks like a special constraint inserted just to avoid humiliating the Gumpster. :( 

14 hours ago, Albany,n.y. said:

It looks like they're using the traditional QB ratings.  It's a stat I absolutely hate among the many QB stats that I hate.  For example Rob Johnson as a Buffalo Bill had a passer rating of 85.5 while Jim Kelly had a passer rating of 84.4. (Kelly did beat RJ's 83.6 career record) So accordingly, in Bills history based on QB passer ratings RJ>JK-ABSURD!!!!!  Also in terms of another over-worn stat, completion %, RJ in Buffalo 61.3% (60.5 career), JK 60.1%.  Another stat where RJ > JK.  This is why anyone in the media who uses any type of QB ratings, percentages, etc is dead to me.  Just give me wins.  A QB who wins > than any QB who has better stats. Yes I know the article uses a winning record as one of the variables, but they lost me the second they introduced a QB rating into the mix. Especially a ridiculous cut off of 75. Even Trent Edwards, JP Losman and EJ Manuel topped 75.  So to put it in perspective , the 4 most vilified QBs in the drought years (RJ, JPL, TE, & EJM) all topped 75 career QB passer ratings.  

It drives me nuts how many people confuse QBR (a proprietary stat created by ESPN) with Passer Rating.  Like the OP.  

To your point though, I agree about passer rating.  It's entirely arbitrary.  In order to get a 158.3, you need to have at least 77.5% completion percentage and 12.5 yards per attempt.  Why 77.5%? Why 12.5?  Just because?

It's very silly on its own, but it's still a useful "at a glance" stat.  

Edited by Capco