Our thank you to Pakistan

selling top of the line fighter jets to a muslim nation with nukes which has had its share of revolutions and a few assasination attempts on Musharraf, and is frequently close to war with its nuclear armed neighbor

helluva strategery :angry:

287779[/snapback]

I think that it is nice of us to show the muslims that we are really kind and friendly people. Maybe then they will like us, and not be mean to us anymore.

I think that it is nice of us to show the muslims that we are really kind and friendly people. Maybe then they will like us, and not be mean to us anymore.

287795[/snapback]

Symbolic and highly visible compensation in international politics is commonplace.

It says "you support us and we will support you" it cuts across cultural and language barriers to send a clear message.

Pakistan continues to hold a great deal of the cards in the search for Osama Bin Laden and the others who crossed our borders to kill thousands of our people.

Right now, I like them.

selling top of the line fighter jets to a muslim nation with nukes which has had its share of revolutions and a few assasination attempts on Musharraf, and is frequently close to war with its nuclear armed neighbor

helluva strategery :angry:

287779[/snapback]

Selling 35 year old technology is not top og the line. We have 18's, 22's and soon the JSF that are much better than these.

Selling 35 year old technology is not top og the line.  We have 18's, 22's and soon the JSF that are much better than these.

287919[/snapback]

this is the crux of why the american media sucks. pakistan/india is the crux of american foreign policy over the next 20 years and it gets no attention at all. yea fine, sell the "old" technology to pakistan, but how does that affect relations vis a vis india? long term our attention should be focused on india shouldn't it? there is no other viable balance v. china is there? capturing OBL would practically guarantee the next election, but is it worth losing the affection of a mostly westernized and anglicized, billion plus india in the process?

Unfortunately, that message means F-U to the average Indian.

287949[/snapback]

Not really, since Bush also worked out deals with India. Economic, energy and trade ties were strengthened. Bush is also allowing arms sales to India. The U.S. can now bid on fighter jet contracts in India. Rice was in India to improve relations and Singh was invited to the White House. All steps at improving relations with India and to let them know that they can get the same things Pakistan has been getting.

The problem I have is how Bush has been ignoring some of the things that Pakistan has been doing. I know why: because they are helping in the GWOT. I understand the philosophy, but I hope that more is being done behind the scenes to let them know that they need to clean up their act. Publically, Bush is commending Musharaff but I hope that he is working behind the scenes to get access to Khan.

Not really, since Bush also worked out deals with India. Economic, energy and trade ties were strengthened. Bush is also allowing arms sales to India. The U.S. can now bid on fighter jet contracts in India. Rice was in India to improve relations and Singh was invited to the White House. All steps at improving relations with India and to let them know that they can get the same things Pakistan has been getting.

The problem I have is how Bush has been ignoring some of the things that Pakistan has been doing. I know why: because they are helping in the GWOT. I understand the philosophy, but I hope that more is being done behind the scenes to let them know that they need to clean up their act. Publically, Bush is commending Musharaff but I hope that he is working behind the scenes to get access to Khan.

288102[/snapback]

Facts suck, huh?

Facts suck, huh?

288484[/snapback]

As someone who never lets fact get in the way of their opinion, I'm not sure you're qualified to make that statement. To wit:

U.S. Is Set to Sell Jets to Pakistan; India Is Critical

WASHINGTON, March 25 - The United States will sell F-16 jet fighters to Pakistan in a deal that State Department officials said Friday would improve regional security. But the decision was immediately denounced by India as adding a fresh element of instability to relations between the nuclear neighbors.

The possibility of the F-16 sale to Pakistan had been hinted at by people in the administration and was reported by The Wall Street Journal this month before Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice visited India and Pakistan.

Even so, Mr. Singh told Mr. Bush of his "great disappointment" over the pending arms sale and warned that it would undermine regional security, according to Sanjaya Baru, the prime minister's spokesman, as quoted by The Associated Press from India.

Full story

As someone who never lets fact get in the way of their opinion, I'm not sure you're qualified to make that statement.  To wit:

Full story (actually, only part of the story)

288494[/snapback]

Nothing like downplaying or eliminating the other side of the story. That is why people need to look at more than one source for their information.

Both have been under sanctions since the nuclear tests. The sanctions are being lifted. Pakistan is getting fighter jets. India has been told that they can do the same, if they wish. The U.S. has also worked to strengthen, as I mentioned, economic, energy and trade ties with India.

I am sorry, but I do not see this as a major F-U to India when they are still allowed to get the same things as Pakistan. The problem India has is that Pakistan bought the stuff first. Well, if you want the stuff, just buy it. The sanctions have been removed.

I am sorry, but I do not see this as a major F-U to India when they are still allowed to get the same things as Pakistan.

288554[/snapback]

We're providing a nation that India has been at or near a state of war with for damn near forever with attack fighters. Perception is reality, and India percieves that we're supplying their age-old enemy with the tools with which to threaten them.

BTW I only pointed out that it doesn't sit well with India. If you were an Indian, this move wouldn't sit well with you either. You'll note however, that I didn't condemn the choice to sell fighters to Pakistan, but I'm not surprised by the response. That's the problem with viewing the world from an ethnocentric perspective.

As far as where I get my news, believe you me, it's more than one source - and they all quote the Indian government as saying that they aren't happy with the sale - but thanks for your "concern." 0:)

Unfortunately, that message means F-U to the average Indian.

287949[/snapback]

Maybe the goal is to help Pakistan, piss off India, wait for Pakistan to nuke India, and watch all of the outsourced IT jobs come back into the US, thus helping our economy?

0:)

CW

The US lifted the ban on arms sales to India three years ago. Lockheed Martin was given permission by the Bush administration to market F-16's to India a year ago.

288571[/snapback]

Which was my point. We have lifted sanctions against them and they can buy the same thing that Pakistan is getting. Bitching about Pakistan getting this stuff, claiming that India is getting shafted, is just ridiculous. That can have the same stuff. It is not Pakistan's fault that India has not purchased the stuff.