Allen vs. Blitz Jags analysis

Bocephuz

When evaluating how QBs do vs the blitz I judge each play either as a Win, Draw or Loss.

For definition :

- Win =  positive result ( Ie. positive yards gained, or qb made good decision to avoid blitz)

- Draw =  Qb did not take sack or INT, no postive yards gained

- Loss = Qb made poor decision, lost yards or turnover

__ __

In watching All 22 it appeared that the Jags blitzed Allen 6 times.

• -For the most part the blitzes came on 3rd and long.
  • The Jags generally just rushed 4 and stunted ( which was fairly effective on its own

OVERALL RESULTS

• WIN:   3 - 6
  • DRAW: 2-6
  • LOSS  1 - 6 

BREAKDOWN

WINS

• Q1  - Jags send 5 -
    • Allen makes athletic move to avoid blitzing A Gap LB in his face and runs up middle for 5 yd gain
  • q4 : Jags send 5
    • 2nd and 9. Jags send 5... Allen is decisive and runs up middle for 45 yard run
  • q3 -  Jags send 6
    • 3rd and 7
    • Allen hits Croom on hot route for gain

DRAW

• q2 -  Jags send 5 on 3rd Down ( midfield)
    • Allen senses pressure.. tries to throw to McKenzie (I believe) who is one on one with Ramsey down sidelines
    • Throw is a bit low and behind.. Ramsey Intercepts it
    • Called back as Ramsey called for Illegal Contact
    • I called this a Draw ... but one could argue it was a win as he took a shot and drew the penalty. One could also argue this was a loss as his throw was poor and was picked off by Ramsey .. and may have even been picked off if Ramsey didn't commit Illegal Contact
    •  
  • Q4 -  Jags send 6 - 3rd and 14
    • Allen stays in pokcet.. hit as he trys to throw comeback throw to Thompson
    • Good decision... throw was off (likely due to hit)

LOSS

• Q3 - 3 + 7 - Jags send 6
    • Line holds up well enought.. Allen has time but short hops a throw to an open Foster on deep comeback
    • Just a bad unforced error by Allen

SUMMARY

Jax didn't blitz very much... but when they did Allen generally handled it well. They key to handling a blitz is to be decisive. That could be manifested in a variety of ways...being decisive and taking off running ...hitting a quick pass .... throwing a jump ball trying to draw penalty. In short.. Allen only had one ( arguably 2) bad outcome and was effective or at least fought to a draw the majority of the time.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 3

2 hours ago, Bocephuz said:

Jax didn't blitz very much... but when they did Allen generally handled it well. They key to handling a blitz is to be decisive. That could be manifested in a variety of ways...being decisive and taking off running ...hitting a quick pass .... throwing a jump ball trying to draw penalty. In short.. Allen only had one ( arguably 2) bad outcome and was effective or at least fought to a draw the majority of the time.

Not sure if this was the Q1 "win" play you mention, but I wouldn't count this toward a loss or even a win per say: 

On the one delayed rush from either Smith or Jack up the A gap on a mesh concept play where KB was open coming across the middle, Allen stares down the rushing LB missing an open KB that if he connects likely picks up the first. I believe he side steps the rusher and tucks and runs fora positive gain on this play. 

While the end result was certainly positive yardage, the goal here is to get his eyes off the rusher to identify the open receiver the blitzing LB just left open through the short middle zone. There will always be plays where he needs to tuck and run, but I'd much prefer he demonstrate this progress before saying he can handle the blitz/rush. That being said, overall it was a much better performance in this regard than in his previous starts for sure.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Great contribution man keep it up pls! I miss the heck out of the guy who graded the OL pass protection.

My biggest concern I thought was easily fixable was Allen's seeming reluctantance to adjust blocking assignments presnap on the blitz. He definitely handled the Blitz well this week I hope part of it was presnap improvement.