THE ROCKPILE REVIEW - Bills Fans in the Dumps

Shaw66

1 hour ago, Shaw66 said:

I didn't study this, didn't read much about it, but I understood from what I read that this is essentially a sprain - soft tissue injury that heals with time.  It's also rather unusual - I think it happened because he happened to get hit in just the right way to cause the injury.   

It's the tendon that pitchers injure that requires Tommy John surgery, but apparently that injury is peculiar to pitching motions.   

So I don't think there's any more long-term risk than something like a high ankle sprain.   

Still, any time your QB gets injured, you worry about recurrence. 

Has any QB had his career ended with this injury?   

Well, here's what our own GM said recently:

“There’s not a lot of guys who’ve played quarterback who has this injury, it’s more of a baseball type of injury... It's one of those things that we’re just taking it slow. He’s an important piece to our team and we don’t want to cause a setback.”

That's a little concerning, to me--particularly the 1st sentence..

Not a lot, but a little.

On 11/1/2018 at 6:18 AM, Shaw66 said:

Clearly nobody knows.  But i honestly dont think Allen throws that INT.  And Allen's running would have been a factor.  

On the other hand, Belichick would have game planned differently and might have seriously confused Allen. 

I hope he's back soon so his education can continue.  Look at how much Zay has progresswd from year one to year two.  His time on the field last season made this season possible.  Allen needs time on the field. 

Did Mahomes need time on the field in his rookie year? Brees, Rodgers or Brady in their first years?

Time off the field can be just as useful and in many ways more so. You can learn just as much about the defense while concentrating on basics and mechanics that need to be grooved. Young guys in trouble on the field tend to return to old habits under pressure. Young guys on the bench can take the time to work on creating new habits.

Did you see the Matt Nagy article?

"Nagy was the Chiefs’ offensive coordinator last season. His primary function was putting Smith and the rest of Kansas City’s offense in the best position to succeed each week. But along the way, Nagy also was involved in bringing along Mahomes.

"The Chiefs planned for Mahomes to be a spectator as a rookie. The Bills entered this season with a similar plan for Allen, but were forced to start him five games after Peterman’s disastrous season-opening performance at Baltimore. Since injuring his elbow in his fifth start, Allen has missed two games and is expected to be out again this week – and possibly longer.

The circumstance has created an opportunity for Allen to be a student, a role Mahomes fully embraced. And the results have been incredible, with his off-the-charts production pushing the Chiefs to a 7-1 record.

“ 'Off the field, and I’m going back to last year, we had him on a pretty good regimen in regards to coming in and teaching him how to be a professional,' Nagy said. 'How do you watch tape? What time do you come in in the morning? What do you do on a Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday? So you teach them, first, how to be a pro and understand that it's football, 24-7. Number two, you're taking care of your body. And then you're out in practice (taking everything in) as a backup quarterback as a rookie.'

“ 'There were times last year, when Alex was running the first team offense, when you watched the video from up in the sky, you can see Patrick 30 yards behind the line of scrimmage doing the exact footwork drops that Alex is doing, just doing it by himself behind the play. He's getting the footwork and the timing, and he’s visually going through calling the play and all that.'

“ 'Those are the little things that you can do to help yourself out when you're not getting those live reps in practice. He did that and that's a credit to Patrick and those guys for really having the ambition to do that. And then you take it to this year, Patrick has some talent around him that knows the system, too, so that helps him, which is great. Coach (Andy) Reid’s done an awesome job with all those guys.' ”

https://buffalonews.com/2018/10/31/buffalo-bills-josh-allen-patrick-mahomes-kansas-city-chiefs-mitch-trubisky-chicago-bears-matt-nagy-sean-mcdermott/

In any case, excellent job with the OP. Thanks for writing it.

Edited by Thurman#1

3 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Did Mahomes need time on the field in his rookie year? Brees, Rodgers or Brady in their first years?

There's no perfect way to do it.   Peyton and Manning started as rookies and made mistakes. 

Rodgers and Mahomes and Brady were rookies in stable situations, playing behind top-10 QBs with great coaches.   I don't think Allen would learn nearly as much playing behind McCarron on the 2018 Bills as Rodgers learned behind Favre for three years.  

On this team, in this situation, Allen in September 2019 will be much better if he plays 5 or 6 more games this year than if he sits the rest of the year and watches some combination of Peterman, Barkley and Anderson playing under an unproven head coach and an unproven offensive coordinator.   

Assuming, of course, that he's healthy.