Michael Moore declines Oscar bid for F 9/11

The simple reason it won't win is that it doesn't have many of the qualities that determine a Best Picture. There was little directing done. The editing was fair at best. The music was fair at best except for a couple choice selections at opportune times (Like "Cocaine"). There was no acting whatsoever. The writing was reasonable but not great. The pacing was slipshod. There was no set design or production design or costuming or special effects or any of 100 things that make up a great picture. It just won't win, regardless of the crappy film that may win.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Better than that.. I'll let you go couble or nothing on the grouper you're buying me after the election.  If it is nominated in the Best Picture category it will WIN.  One it is the best film of the year.  Two the voters tend to be quite liberal.  Three the voters will love a show, and MM will give it to them.  I see it as a can't miss proposition ...the big if is which category it gets nominated in.

23288[/snapback]

I don't know this to be true but I think so, and will ask. A friend of mine is the former Head of the Academy. BUt I believe the Academy as a whole were absolutely pissed at Moore for his garbage last year at the Awards Ceremony. While the liberal members of the film community may hate Bush, and may support Moore's efforts to get him Bushwhacked, I seriously doubt they would vote that film for Best Picture.

I don't know this to be true but I think so, and will ask. A friend of mine is the former Head of the Academy. BUt I believe the Academy as a whole were absolutely pissed at Moore for his garbage last year at the Awards Ceremony. While the liberal members of the film community may hate Bush, and may support Moore's efforts to get him Bushwhacked, I seriously doubt they would vote that film for Best Picture.

23733[/snapback]

I think the problem, K-dog, is that very few people understand how the Academy operates.

The truth of the matter is, Moore would (as T-boy states) give them a show, but I wonder if the Academy is willing to take the chance. Regardless of one's opinion, the public still boos and hisses when the Moores, Ronstadts and Henleys open their mouths about politics during an event that has nothing to do with politics. (Hell, Don Henley has been raging against the machine for years, and people still BOO him when he opens his mouth because the country is just sick of hearing it these days.)

There is one X factor; the whole "what assine thing will Moore say tonight" thing. It's enough to get the America Idol crowd to tune in to the Oscars...and at the end of the day, the question becomes; will they erect a big tent and put up the pylons and let people see the amazingly obnoxious bearded slob, or will they try to focus on the core of the Academy, which is about movie making.

This will be interesting.

I think the problem, K-dog, is that very few people understand how the Academy operates.

The truth of the matter is, Moore would (as T-boy states) give them a show, but I wonder if the Academy is willing to take the chance. Regardless of one's opinion, the public still boos and hisses when the Moores, Ronstadts and Henleys open their mouths about politics during an event that has nothing to do with politics. (Hell, Don Henley has been raging against the machine for years, and people still BOO him when he opens his mouth because the country is just sick of hearing it these days.)

There is one X factor; the whole "what assine thing will Moore say tonight" thing. It's enough to get the America Idol crowd to tune in to the Oscars...and at the end of the day, the question becomes; will they erect a big tent and put up the pylons and let people see the amazingly obnoxious bearded slob, or will they try to focus on the core of the Academy, which is about movie making.

This will be interesting.

23763[/snapback]

True enough. I just asked my friend and he said the Academy was extremely pissed at Moore last year for his antics. Furious. But it is POSSIBLE that F 9/11 could get enough nominations to be in the top five, which would put it up for Best Picture. He doubts it though. And once it is there, anything can happen.

He would be shocked if it did though. Not to mention that the awards arent until well after the inauguration, and either Bush will be gone or this film will be old hat, so who would want to see Moore up there whining about Bush, parading his film about two elections ago, when Bush is stuck in the office, and then will be gone in the next election.