Don't Get Your Hopes Up Bills Fans - 7 Things That Won't Happen in 2018

I see a lot of wishful thinking from fans here and listen to comments on WGR, suggesting things that they want to happen for the Bills. The problem is, many of these suggestions are just so far-fetched.  Here's my attempt at predicting things that won't happen in 2018

1. Sean McDermott will NOT get fired

It won't happen folks.  We are stuck with Coach McDermott for the full 5 years of his deal - barring some catastrophic falling out or crazy circumstance.  Terry seems to love McDermott, plus I am certain he gave his assurances to come here.  He's getting all 5 years.

2. Brandon Beane will NOT get fired

See above.  I am sure Beane told PSE that he needed time and laid out his plans to turn over the roster.  Not happening, friends.

3.  The Bills will NOT sign Dez Bryan

#1 Dez Bryant wants the easiest path to a Super Bowl as possible.  He's not going to come back for a rebuilding team.  #2 The Bills don't want to invest what it would take to sign him for 1 year.  It aint happened.

4. Rishard Matthews will NOT sign Buffalo

He had a falling out with Terry Robiskie who is a coach on the Bills.  #1 the Bills don't want distractions like this on their roster and #2 it would be a slap in the face to Robiskie.  McDermott is too loyal.  This one doesn't happen

5.  The Bills will NOT trade LeSean McCoy

Shady is a captain on the team but also he's a 30 year-old running back with a phat contract.  Teams won't want to take that salary on and even if they did, what could the Bills get in return?  A 7th round draft pick?  Is it worth trading your captain for a 7th round pick so you can get an Austin Prohl type player?  Probably not.

6.  The Bills will NOT release any of their starting offensive linemen

Many have called for the releases of John Miller, Ryan Groy, Jordan Mills, and/or Vlad Ducasse.  This isn't going happen.  Why?  Because as poorly as this group has played, they are the best available on the team.  If there were better alternatives on the roster, you have to believe they would have explored them.

7. The Bills will NOT trade "significant" draft capital for OL, WR or veteran QB

By significant, I mean a pick in Round 4 or higher.  They don't want to give up a draft asset for a rent-a-player who probably won't be around in a year.   They also seem comfortable with Peterman as backup.  I can see them trading a low pick for a player, but I don't think we'll see any Kelvin Benjamin trades this year.

8. Brian Daboll, Juan Castillo, Leslie Frazier or David Culley will NOT get fired.

Daboll is safe for 2019.  Some of the others may get the axe at the end of the year, but it won't happen during the year.  Keep dreaming.

There are my ideas - let's see your things that won't happen.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Just now, SoTier said:

Let me guess.  You're Sean McDermott's mom ... or one of the Pegulas' kids.

Nope just a fan who keeps it real.  It’s ok to complain after today.  Just know these far-fetched pope dreams wont happen.  And we’ll have McDermott and Beane for at least 5 years....maybe moore

9 minutes ago, BuffaloRush said:

I’m not saying they wouldn’t be better in the short term or better overal.  Just these requested moves are unlikely to happen 

Trade deadline is 10/30  with 4 games until then. The only way I see Beane trading for anything would be if we were 5-3 at the mid-way.

I do think they should bring in a Vet QB to help mentor Josh as we don't have a QB coach.

Edited by Real McCoy

Good post...I agree with it.  The only think I'd expect to see is a few FA OLinemen and WRs brought in.  For the most part, what we see is what we'll get for the remainder of this year.

8 hours ago, BuffaloRush said:

Nope just a fan who keeps it real.  It’s ok to complain after today.  Just know these far-fetched pope dreams wont happen.  And we’ll have McDermott and Beane for at least 5 years....maybe moore

I agree with your post, but 5 years is a very long time in the NFL. If Allen doesn't fix his accuracy issues or the team just isn't competitive in 2019, the Pegulas have shown that they are willing to clean house again and again until they find the right people to build and sustain a serious contender.