TBN: Vic Carucci One-on-One Interview with Brandon Beane

26CornerBlitz

https://buffalonews.com/2018/09/07/buffalo-bills-gm-brandon-beane-sean-mcdermott/

BN: If you could draw up the ideal "McBeane" player, what are his traits?

BB: First of all, he loves ball. He loves every part of ball. He walks in here with a smile on his face that he's playing a kid's game. He treats people with respect. And that's not just the coaches or the owners or me or Sean. He's going to work his butt off to be the best version of himself he can be. He's a good teammate and guys want to be around him.

You can be really good at your craft and make plays and there are guys in the league that are doing it, but if people don't want to be around you, be next to your locker, you're a pain in the butt to the kitchen staff, the trainers, it drains. It takes energy away from what we're doing and, in the end, it's generally not worth it. I've seen guys that are good players, can be Pro Bowl players, but they don't help the team concept and we want guys that care about the we and not the me.

BN: At more than $50 million, you have twice as much dead-cap money compared to any other team in the NFL. From your standpoint, what does that mean? How is that managed?

BB: That was all in this plan, back when I interviewed for the job. Again, you've got an idea of how it's going to work, but you never know when you're going to make certain moves and certain players you don't know (about) yet. Maybe it's a guy that we ended up moving that I hoped we didn't need to move, but we did. Once we started making these moves and things started falling in place, (you say), "I wanted to go ahead and take this hit this year, in 2018, to clean the slate." And I found that we're almost there, which is really going to open it up for 2019 and beyond.

You look at even Eric Wood's unfortunate situation. We could have pushed some of that money off. Part of what we were waiting on (before his release) was to see how free agency went, how many draft picks we ended up with and the rookie pool and then we've got to (decide), "Can we eat all of Eric's money and take (the dead-cap hit) now? Or do we need to push some of it into '19?" And we were able to move things around and get it done to eat all of his (money) now. And while it's painful now, I wanted to just be done with it, wipe the slate clean and not have a bunch of dead money still hanging out in '19 and '20.
  • Like (+1) 2

Beane is a smart dude.  It is particularly annoying to see the national media writeups of dead cap money -- they are so eager to trash the Bills for having so much in 2018, but only a few mention how well set up they are for 2019 and beyond.  And the dead cap is significantly mitigated by having two QBs on rookie contracts.

• Like (+1) 1