HBO boxing

Buffalo716

Boxing question:  So yesterday I see that Jacobs did not make weight.  I guess not even close.............But, yet they had the fight, and it seemed like different belts were on the line..............So, what gives?  Why even have a weigh in?  

2 hours ago, bbb said:

Boxing question:  So yesterday I see that Jacobs did not make weight.  I guess not even close.............But, yet they had the fight, and it seemed like different belts were on the line..............So, what gives?  Why even have a weigh in?  

Jacobs made weight, from ESPN a contract thing:
They both made the 160-pound middleweight division limit Friday afternoon, with Alvarez weighing 159.5 pounds and Jacobs 160, but they were subject to a weight check at 8 a.m. PT in their respective hotel suites, with a member of the other camp on hand to observe -- a contractual clause demanded by Alvarez's team because of Jacobs' size advantage.

On 5/5/2019 at 4:41 PM, Uncle Joe said:

Jacobs made weight, from ESPN a contract thing:
They both made the 160-pound middleweight division limit Friday afternoon, with Alvarez weighing 159.5 pounds and Jacobs 160, but they were subject to a weight check at 8 a.m. PT in their respective hotel suites, with a member of the other camp on hand to observe -- a contractual clause demanded by Alvarez's team because of Jacobs' size advantage.

I don't get it...................So what was the issue?  

1 hour ago, bbb said:

I don't get it...................So what was the issue?  

It's all about the Benjamins.
A clause in the contract between promoters because Alvarez's camp didn't want Jacobs to bulk up after the sanctioned weigh in.
Jacobs made less $ by gaining weight (contract clause).

Edited by Uncle Joe

6 hours ago, Uncle Joe said:

It's all about the Benjamins.
A clause in the contract between promoters because Alvarez's camp didn't want Jacobs to bulk up after the sanctioned weigh in.
Jacobs made less $ by gaining weight (contract clause).

4 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

Just a side deal on actual fighting weight instead of what they weighed in at. 

Thanks.  Has there ever been a championship fight called off the day before because of not making weight?  I don't recall one.