OT - Going to New Orlean for First Time Tonight

I'll be there for 4 nights / 3 days. Any suggestions for fun and interesting activities around town? What's "N'Orleans" we should make a point of seeing? We're not looking to get too crazy, but do want to go out and party a bit, at least one night....

I'm going to be slammed at work today, then am going over to the airport for my flight. I'll try to find a few minutes to look back here to see if ayone has any good ideas.

Thanks.

If you're staying somewhere down near the French Quarter, make sure you check to see if the hotel has a local "travel channel" that will give you info on great sights to see and places to eat that are OUTSIDE the Quarter. Check those out, even if it costs you some cab fare (unless you have a rental or are driving). It's worth it. Do the whole Quarter experience first, just to say you've been there, then go out and see the other sights.

so much to do ,take a carrige ride they are good at telling so much about the city, house of blues to see a show take a tour of the dome , ride the river boat . walk the streets with a drink in you hand all day . :blink: have fun, wish i was going

Thanks, R.Rich. We're staying just outside the French quarter in the business district, and are doing the trip without a car. I'll keep my eyes open for the travel channel. I think you mean the guide that comes up on the hotel TV (right?). Good idea.

so much to do ,take a carrige ride they are good at telling so much about the city,  house of blues to see a show take a tour of the dome , ride the river boat . walk the streets with a drink in you hand all day .  :blink:  have fun, wish i was going

276183[/snapback]

We're thinking about taking the streetcar for a bit of a tour. I think I read there's only one left in the city.... My wife is interested in checking out the local architecture. Also, we're staying just a few blocks off the river (on canal street), so the riverboat is a possibility too.

Thanks.

I'll keep my eyes open for the travel channel.  I think you mean the guide that comes up on the hotel TV  (right?). Good idea.

276184[/snapback]

Yeah, that's what I meant. You'll find some great info on there. The Big Easy is so much more than the Quarter.

Cafe' DuMond 

Benets' and coffee

Spelling in French....Hell I cant spell in English

276189[/snapback]

My wife loves beignets! We had our honeymoon at Disney World and stayed at the Port Orleans resort. They had a restaurant there that made very good beignets.

It's been a loooooong time for me but if it is still there check out Pat O'briens for drinks.  I think it is on Carondelet (sp?)

276195[/snapback]

Addendum: I just saw that you are going tonight. Pat O'briens on St. Pat's eve!!! That makes it a must. Remember, Scarlett O'hara was Irish :blink:

Addendum:  I just saw that you are going tonight.  Pat O'briens on St. Pat's eve!!!  That makes it a must.  Remember, Scarlett O'hara was Irish :blink:

276205[/snapback]

That place is always packed. I first went there when I was stationed at Keesler AFB in Biloxi, Miss. back in the summer of '88. The Hurricane drinks are pretty strong. I still have a few Hurricane glasses from there. They'll pack your glass up after you finish your drink; it'll take time to wait in line though.

DPR4444 mentioned Cajun Mike's for red beans and rice. That sounds great! Both my wife and I love red beans and rice, so if we get to go there this year for the Bills game, that's going to be on the itinerary.

Mulate's is a good place to go also, if you enjoy Cajun food/music.

Cafe' DuMond 

Benets' and coffee

Spelling in French....Hell I cant spell in English

276189[/snapback]

This place is a must. When I hit the lottery, I can see taking a jet there just to go to that place and turn it around.

Check out the Crescent City Brewery just across the street a bit from there...homemade beers and awsome oysters with live jazz at night.

And bring a rosary.....that city is the devil.