Nasty flashback to Nix/Gailey: "Our OL Cupboard Is Not Bare

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-1/6-observations-from-week-one-of-the-Bills-2018-offseason-program/59d14ea6-2ee6-47c2-82c2-fdce40c266dd

3.   O-LINE CUPBOARD IS NOT BARE

Eric Wood is gone.  So is Richie Incognitoicon-article-link.gif. Cordy Glenn, who started five games at left tackle last year, is now a Cincinnati Bengal.

So, there will be changes up front for the Bills offensive line this year. But they have some experienced candidates on the roster already who can line up and play.

Ryan Groyicon-article-link.gif saw limited action last year, but in 2016 he started the final seven games of the year at center after Wood got hurt.

Free agent signee Russell Bodineicon-article-link.gif has started every single game at center for Cincinnati since he came into the league four years ago. And Dion Dawkinsicon-article-link.gif was the starter at left tackle for the Bills for the final 11 games of the year.  Marshall Newhouseicon-article-link.gif was signed up front to provide some depth.

McDermott likes what he sees up front so far and likes the potential for improvement from the o-line group.

“These guys are stepping up and that’s what you want to see,” McDermott says. “They understand what’s at stake; they understand there’s an opportunity for them to step up and increase their leadership influence.”

I got a nasty flashback reading this. 

Anyone else remember?  2010 Nix and Gailey arrive

“When I came here I heard, ‘Oh the cupboard’s bare,'” Gailey said. “The next thing I heard was the team’s in disarray. The next thing I heard was the sky is falling. . . .  But I’m here to
tell you folks, it’s not. We’ve got some good players.”

We went 4 and 12 that year and drafted Marcell Dareus.  Good thing our cupboard wasn't bare.

Isn't there a little bit of a difference with the context, though? One is a CB headline, whereas the other one is a Gailey quote.

No chance that McCoach (providing lip service) has the same train of thought as the two of them:

https://www.buffalorumblings.com/2018/4/23/17266052/buffalo-bills-head-coach-sean-mcdermott-not-satisfied-heading-into-year-2-2018

Edited by JimKellyTryouts

The line is a Great Weakness. 

It was a soft spot last year as it was. Now we will have the Bengals center, and then some other guys who could not displace some of the lesser starters we had last year, as our starters. And we have no one at all to back them up as depth.

That is the current circumstance I hope they do something

Hapless. I have the idea that McCoy could not run right last year very well. I wonder do you know where to find a chart that would show how he did for left versus right?