UB Sports..Do you follow them?

I saw the other UB post listed and it got me wondering how many of you follow UB or even have any interest in UB sports for that matter?  The reason I'm curious is because I went there for two years to finish out my Bachelor's Degree and I just don't have a care in the world about their sports teams.  I realized this during their March Madness appearance.  Now I am not Anti-UB and I was happy for them but I just didn't find myself having any genuine excitement over the whole thing...I mean I tried but just couldn't muster up any feelings! 

2 hours ago, BillsPride12 said:

I saw the other UB post listed and it got me wondering how many of you follow UB or even have any interest in UB sports for that matter?  The reason I'm curious is because I went there for two years to finish out my Bachelor's Degree and I just don't have a care in the world about their sports teams.  I realized this during their March Madness appearance.  Now I am not Anti-UB and I was happy for them but I just didn't find myself having any genuine excitement over the whole thing...I mean I tried but just couldn't muster up any feelings! 

If you are from Buffalo, you should at least have the pride of that team carrying the city's name on its jersey. I mean what's wrong with having a local college team to cheer for? It's also a more affordable local sports option. 

You were the kind of student that the Athletic department has been working on winning over. UB never had much of an athletic tradition so it's understandable. But being good is the best advertising. And both basketball teams are really good now.  (The women finished ranked #21 in the nation. No UB football or basketball team has ever been ranked.)

Edited by PromoTheRobot

Yeah like I said it's not like I am against UB, it just doesn't strike any emotion with me.  But I think you are right about them never having much of an athletic tradition.  Growing up I never gave them a second thought but I loved the Bills and Sabres so that's where my fandom for those teams came from.  If either of them got their act right it would be an incredible high for me...but with the UB thing it was more like this is cool but I wish I cared more lol.  

Not from Buffalo or went to school there but I was interested in them the first two rounds of the tourney.  I guess since most Bulls fans are Bills fans I presume.  Plus it was a nice story for a little

I get what your saying though.  I went to Rutgers in NJ as an undergrad and for a lot of reasons I was totally apathetic to their sports teams.  In that case I found it was the parents of the students more so than the students that were into it.  

Edited by Another Fan

25 minutes ago, BillsPride12 said:

Being from Buffalo I think part of the problem is the Bills and Sabres have such a college town following to them that nobody actually cares about the college teams lol

That and UB had nothing to care about. SUNY had not cared about athletics until recently, and they will never support it like a Southern college. So for UB to get near the elites in any sport with that little support is kind of amazing.

But there is a big opportunity for UB next year. The men's team only lost one starter and has its best class ever coming in. Nate Oates is staying at least one more year. So the stars are lining up for a big season. 

With no NBA in Buffalo, this is a chance to grab local ball fans. Plus you can take a family for under a hundred bucks. There's a market for that.

And just an FYI about the football team, they have two players that will be serious NFL prospects in 2019; LB Khalil Hodge and WR Anthony Johnson. 

Edited by PromoTheRobot