Draft QB: Worst Case Scenario

1 hour ago, jrober38 said:

This isn't really true. A lot of QBs projected to go in the 1st round over the past few years went much later than expected. 

In a year when there are 4 really good QB prospects, and a couple really good free agent options, no one is going to reach for Rudolph when it's all said and done. He's the same calibre of prospect as Landry Jones or Bryce Petty, who were both 4th round picks. 

Roughly seven NFL teams need a QB, and with Darnold, Rosen, Mayfield, Allen, Cousins, Keenum, Bridgewater, Bradford and possibly Foles all being options, no one is going to go out of their way to draft Rudolph whose ceiling is quite low. 

It goes both ways of course. There are many times where teams will reach, and there are going to be times where players fall.

I am willing to bet that at least 5 QBS go in the 1st round this year.

I am not saying Rudolph will go in the 1st as I think he will go in the 2nd, but I wouldn't be surprised if he did get drafted in the 1st.

1 hour ago, jrober38 said:

This isn't really true. A lot of QBs projected to go in the 1st round over the past few years went much later than expected. 

In a year when there are 4 really good QB prospects, and a couple really good free agent options, no one is going to reach for Rudolph when it's all said and done. He's the same calibre of prospect as Landry Jones or Bryce Petty, who were both 4th round picks. 

Roughly seven NFL teams need a QB, and with Darnold, Rosen, Mayfield, Allen, Cousins, Keenum, Bridgewater, Bradford and possibly Foles all being options, no one is going to go out of their way to draft Rudolph whose ceiling is quite low. 

That makes a lot of sense!!  Thanks for your comment!

Taylor for another year, build up the roster with young talent with the 4 picks we have in the first 2 rounds and 8 picks we have in the first 5 rounds, re-sign Joe Webb for one more year as our 3rd string QB, and then go for broke for a QB through FA, trade, or draft next year.

I think this is something McDermott and Beane are willing to do.  The fact that McDermott said "we are not as far along as everyone thinks we are" is a big indicator to me that he wants to build the core of this team, which as of last September was the 2nd oldest roster in the NFL and 9th oldest in terms of starting lineup.

This board will go nuts, but I think it's probably option B or option C rather than option "HELL NO!!!" as some think it is.