Phil Savage: Scouting QBs. WGR.com

PIZ

3 minutes ago, BigBuff423 said:

Unfortunately as with most things on the internet, the truth and facts get conflated with reality. Parcells had 7 criteria and even though they are as I listed, but there is a wealth of information out there linking the actual 7 criteria Parcells took to evaluate QBs...

Very true BigBuff, but I can only find a solid real world out of Parcells mouth reference to four rules.  The seven rules are prevalent but I cannot find a solid reference to anchor them.

I am amazed at how some of you guys were able to get so much information out of an interview that apparently took place on a walkie-talkie.  

I had to lean in so far to hear what he was saying that my computer speakers may go to HR and file sexual harassment charges against me.

Red 2 tell me when you're a little closer to the Death Star so I can hear you better.

• Haha (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, BigBuff423 said:

Unfortunately as with most things on the internet, the truth and facts get conflated with reality. Parcells had 7 criteria and even though they are as I listed, but there is a wealth of information out there linking the actual 7 criteria Parcells took to evaluate QBs...

And to throw even more confusion into it... Here is a 2007 article from Dr. Z with a Parcells quote about his system.  Dr. Z implies it has 11 rules!  https://www.si.com/more-sports/2007/10/25/rating-system

Edited by simool

5 minutes ago, simool said:

And to throw even more confusion into it... Here is a 2007 article from Dr. Z with a Parcells quote about his system.  Dr. Z implies it has 11 rules!  https://www.si.com/more-sports/2007/10/25/rating-system

I believe, if I'm not mistaken, those are more "commandments" given to QBs....I found an article about it specifically relating to Tony Romo, but that was pages ago and I've got to run...but it's out there if you're interested. 

As for the Parcells rules, you're right in that I find just as many articles and links that indicate 7 as they do 4....I've tried going back through the history and I'll say Mike Lombardi who wrote an article leading up to last year's Draft did so regarding Bills Walsh and reference the 7 principles of Parcells' QB criteria. Now, maybe it's still wrong, but you would think with such a venue and medium, someone who could validate it's accuracy or challenge it, would have been heard. At this point, I'm not sure....but, to me, the 7 points seem even more objective since you're adding completion % (or accuracy to some degree) and production, TDs, vs. mistakes, INTs...and the last category doesn't need to be totally wacky, it just needs to show a guy can produce points without constantly putting the team in a deficit. 

48 minutes ago, BigBuff423 said:

As for the Parcells rules, you're right in that I find just as many articles and links that indicate 7 as they do 4....I've tried going back through the history and I'll say Mike Lombardi who wrote an article leading up to last year's Draft did so regarding Bills Walsh and reference the 7 principles of Parcells' QB criteria.

Boom.  There it is.  I agree with you. A Mike Lombardi penned article is a solid, reputable reference.

Another Hall of Fame coach created a similar cheat sheet: Bill Parcells. He wanted a three-year starter. He wanted a senior in college, someone who graduated. He wanted a player who started at least 30 games, with 23 or more wins, and at least a 2-to-1 touchdown-to-interception ratio. Finally, he wanted a 60 percent passer.