So Much For The "Analytics Have No Place In Football" Crew Here

BuffaloRush

13 hours ago, BuffaloRush said:

Back in 2013, when Uncle Russ Brandon announced his plan for a "robust analytics department," I'm pretty sure this is what he had in mind.  In 2010, Howard Rosenman hired a Harvard graduate, Alec Hanaby, with a background in economics and analytics as a special assistant to help out with personnel.  He made many key decisions that helped the team and he's now Vice President of Football operations. 

The article below discusses how Pederson relies on a 27 year old Dartmouth graduate named Ryan Paganetti, to dictate the crucial decisions on the field based on analytics.  

https://www.reviewjournal.com/sports/football/super-bowl/math-inclined-assistant-has-eagles-coach-doug-pedersons-ear/

I'm posting this only because when news broke of the Bills disbanding their very "robust" analytics department, there were several members here who said things like "analytics have no place no place in football" or "analytics work in baseball but no in football when you have 11 players every play."  

I was under the impression the department was 86'd because it was really just studying things like ticket sales. Am I wrong?

Because it worked they look like geniuses and analytics is the answer, something went wrong like a player slipped, was a little slow, or a pass was slightly off they look like fools. 

The play late in the SB going for it at the 40 with 5 minutes left may have been smart just because if you lose the ball at the 40, it give the Pats less room to use to wear out the clock and score. Chances are very good they  score but will do it in less plays cause of the shorter field. Pin them back at the 1 and they have the entire field to wear out the clock and score to win the game.

3 minutes ago, ndirish1978 said:

I was under the impression the department was 86'd because it was really just studying things like ticket sales. Am I wrong?

I believe that's what Russ had said when they cut It, they were using the resource to study marketing and ticket sale trends, it wasn't for the football side of the organisation.

1 hour ago, mannc said:

No, he's not.  That's what you're doing.  He's talking about core football analytics, which involves game-time decisions such as when to punt, kick a FG or go for it on fourth down. 

And exactly how does "analytics" assist you with this?

Analytics and the fad is simply crazy.  Any statistician worth his or her salt will tell you that with increased variables, comes increased complexity.  You try to control for variables as much as you can, but all to often some things simply cannot be controlled for, and sports, especially in real-time, are one of them.  And to add to that, as soon as your "call" goes wrong, what then?  People say, well it's percentages, it's the percentages dudes.. I call BS..  Analytics works for a lot of things where the human variable is limited or non-existent, but add in the human variable and all hell breaks loose.

It's exactly why psychology is a fake science.. Or science-light.  too much humans to control for.. ;)

Tim-