Massive Database of Game Film for Each Prospect

DCOrange

For those that are interested, I figured I'd post the link to this great Google Doc. As you'll see when you click the link, positions are listed at the top. If, for example, you click "QB", it'll take you to a list of roughly 60 QB prospects (anyone you'd care about is in the left-most column). Click on "Tape" next to the name of the guy you want to watch and it'll take you to a page for that specific prospect. Once you're there, you'll see a line for "Game Tape" with links to YouTube videos of the specific prospect. Some prospects have more tape than others as you can imagine, but you can pretty much find a decent amount of tape on any prospect you'd ever want to research.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/13RgfxMu4CW0NKMZebZ88cgg7b7MlszjfzXxEeId7Y34/htmlview#

• Like (+1) 3

7 hours ago, DCOrange said:

For those that are interested, I figured I'd post the link to this great Google Doc. As you'll see when you click the link, positions are listed at the top. If, for example, you click "QB", it'll take you to a list of roughly 60 QB prospects (anyone you'd care about is in the left-most column). Click on "Tape" next to the name of the guy you want to watch and it'll take you to a page for that specific prospect. Once you're there, you'll see a line for "Game Tape" with links to YouTube videos of the specific prospect. Some prospects have more tape than others as you can imagine, but you can pretty much find a decent amount of tape on any prospect you'd ever want to research.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/13RgfxMu4CW0NKMZebZ88cgg7b7MlszjfzXxEeId7Y34/htmlview#

Awesome dB thanks.  I just watched the Wyoming v Iowa game.  i didn't see that game when it happened but it was very interesting. 

The good: He made a few pretty good throws.  One sure TD that his receiver bobbled in the end zone.

The bad: Watch closely and you will see almost zero yards after catch.  He can throw to a receiver but he can't throw them open.  I don't think I saw a single receiver get even five YAC once the whole game.

The ugly: His two INTs were both horrible decisions. These were no great defensive plays, the ball was poorly thrown on one and never should have been thrown in the other.  He also had another two that should have been picked but the defensive back failed to make what looks like an easy play.

Only one game and not decisive by any means, but unfortunately exactly what I expected to see.

14 minutes ago, CritMark said:

Awesome dB thanks.  I just watched the Wyoming v Iowa game.  i didn't see that game when it happened but it was very interesting. 

The good: He made a few pretty good throws.  One sure TD that his receiver bobbled in the end zone.

The bad: Watch closely and you will see almost zero yards after catch.  He can throw to a receiver but he can't throw them open.  I don't think I saw a single receiver get even five YAC once the whole game.

The ugly: His two INTs were both horrible decisions. These were no great defensive plays, the ball was poorly thrown on one and never should have been thrown in the other.  He also had another two that should have been picked but the defensive back failed to make what looks like an easy play.

Only one game and not decisive by any means, but unfortunately exactly what I expected to see.

The interesting one for me is against Hawaii. His stat line is horrific but his WRs were so bad in that game. I thought he played at least okay in that game despite the horrid stat line. 

8 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

The interesting one for me is against Hawaii. His stat line is horrific but his WRs were so bad in that game. I thought he played at least okay in that game despite the horrid stat line. 

Yeah there were more than a few balls that his WRs flat out dropped.  Unfortunately there were also some really bad throws to open receivers.  Three other plays stood out to me. 

The first pass of the game, he had the receiver open in the flat.  Allen threw it at his knees forcing the receiver to go to the ground to catch the ball.  Completions yes, but again, no opportunity for YAC.

The play right at the half was a Hail Mary.  No problem with those going incomplete with 7 or 8 guys bunched up in the end zone.  My problem is with why this particular attempt went incomplete.  He threw the ball five yards out of the back of the end zone so there was no opportunity for a completion.

Watch at 3:57 on the tape.  This was the easiest pick six a DB ever had and he simple missed the ball.  Given Hawaii lost the game in OT, my guess is the DB had nightmares about that one for days.

The kid is big and strong and can throw the ball.  My concern is can he throw a catchable ball in the NFL?  Only completing 56% of his throws in the Mountain West isn't confidence inspiring when he has to face NFL defenses next year.  Most of his throws are to a receiver who is facing him full on.

I was trying to think of a comp for him and the best I could come up with was a slightly less athletic Colin Kaepernick.  Big arm but hampered by poor mechanics and the inability to throw anything with touch.  100mph fastballs, no problem.  Trying to consistently get a ball into a receiver who can (a) catch it and (b) run with it after the catch, not so much.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Buffalo30 said:

I don't think Allen should be a year one starter.  If he can learn behind a veteran QB and clean up some of his decision-making...look out.  

Agree on both points, but...

What are the traits that can be taught/learned/fixed, and those that are innate.  When looking at all the variables that make up any evaluation of a college QB that is moving to the NFL, I struggle with how to rank them in importance and are there deal breakers because if they don't have the skill yet they never will.  Of course you look at the basic stats but every one of them is dependent on the skill level of the players around them and those they played against, just for starters.  

For me, I struggle most with questions that are qualitative.  How good is there decision making?  If they have been playing for many years, can you change poor habits there?  Can you teach 'touch'?  There are QBs that seem to sense when a pocket is breaking down and others have no clue.  Can you help someone improve that?  Do they rise up or wilt in a big game and can you change what's between the ears?

My issue with Allen is everyone seems to be dismissing a lot of very important traits that make up a good QB that he struggles with like every one of them can be overcome because he is big and can throw the ball a long way.  I think that is a very flawed assumption.

The single most important word in your post was "IF".

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.