Good read on Eagles and adjustments for Foles

From nfl.com of all places

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000908111/article/nick-foles-comfort-level-doug-marrones-role-vikings-grit

Points that caught my attention:

-the importance of QB-receiver timing and time to work on it :

"The thing with Nick is that we didn't even have a training camp with him," Ertz told me. "He didn't play a preseason game; he was hurt all training camp. So the past two weeks was an opportunity for us to get on the same page, get the timing down. Quarterback-receiver timing in the NFL is the biggest reason for success"

-the limits of developing it during the regular season:

" Head coach Doug Pederson told me that, because the Eagles were so banged up physically heading into the Raiders game in Week 16, they could only hold walk-through practices."

-the role adjusting for players holds on successful teams:

"Pederson and Co. went back into the archives and looked for what made Foles successful earlier in his career. They looked at plays and schemes in 2013, when Foles played for former Eagles head coach Chip Kelly. They brought in more RPOs (run-pass options) and created an offense that had time to be built to cater to his strengths."

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

From nfl.com of all places

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000908111/article/nick-foles-comfort-level-doug-marrones-role-vikings-grit

Points that caught my attention:

-the importance of QB-receiver timing and time to work on it :

"The thing with Nick is that we didn't even have a training camp with him," Ertz told me. "He didn't play a preseason game; he was hurt all training camp. So the past two weeks was an opportunity for us to get on the same page, get the timing down. Quarterback-receiver timing in the NFL is the biggest reason for success"

-the limits of developing it during the regular season:

" Head coach Doug Pederson told me that, because the Eagles were so banged up physically heading into the Raiders game in Week 16, they could only hold walk-through practices."

-the role adjusting for players holds on successful teams:

"Pederson and Co. went back into the archives and looked for what made Foles successful earlier in his career. They looked at plays and schemes in 2013, when Foles played for former Eagles head coach Chip Kelly. They brought in more RPOs (run-pass options) and created an offense that had time to be built to cater to his strengths."

This is a real indictment of OCs that dont mold their play calls to the talent on hand week to weeks

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, FearLess Price said:

This is a real indictment of OCs that dont mold their play calls to the talent on hand week to weeks

AFAIK, Kelly ran a spread offense (am I right?) and Reich is running a WCO.  The point being, they were able, within their installed system, to chose plays that suited their player.

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

AFAIK, Kelly ran a spread offense (am I right?) and Reich is running a WCO.  The point being, they were able, within their installed system, to chose plays that suited their player.

Yeah Kelly ran a gimmicky college type off offense and couldnt make enough adjustments to cancelmout the leagues adjustments to his scheme.

The post and point is right on the money hap.

Encouraged mcderm had the sense to make a change at OC when our offense was good/decent last year. We we weren't even top 10 rushing after being #1 for two years.

• Like (+1) 1