Fred Miller's destination

Fred Miller Offensive Right Tackle Free Agent from the Titans is deciding between going to the Saints or the Bears.

The Bears are a team that was most likely to get LJ Shelton if the Travis Henry deal fell through

If Miller signs with the Bears they will no longer need to sign another offensive tackle, therefore Arizona's best option would be to trade for Henry, therefore providing the Bills with a quality left tackle

Fred Miller Offensive Right Tackle Free Agent from the Titans is deciding between going to the Saints or the Bears.

The Bears are a team that was most likely to get LJ Shelton if the Travis Henry deal fell through

If Miller signs with the Bears they will no longer need to sign another offensive tackle, therefore Arizona's best option would be to trade for Henry, therefore providing the Bills with a quality left tackle

265278[/snapback]

isn't TB still in the picture with shelton?

265278[/snapback]

or wait for the Cards to cut LJ and then sign him in what could be a minor bidding war with a handful of teams.

that would allow the Bills to hold onto Travis and trade him to some desparate team whose starting tailback blows out a knee in training camp.

sounds like a good plan.

The rumor I heard from a Cards fan over the weekend is the Bears want Shelton. They offered only a 2nd day pick this year, which was reported here. The thing he said was that the bears don't have a 2nd rounder and didn't want to only have one day 1 pick. So they said the bears offered something like their 5th rounder and a 3rd next year. If that is true, then that is basically equivalent to a 2nd rounder, and the Cards turned it down. The Cards seem to want picks this year and are unwilling to trade Shelton for deferred picks next year. Seems old Denny Green thinks he can make a run at the playoffs with a few stud rookies, some FA and the team he has.

The rumor on what Travis wanted was a 4 year contract 4 million per year and a 7 million dollar bonus for a total 4 year 23 million dollar deal. Sorry Travis you aren't even worth half of that. The Cards apparently offered 4 years just under 2 million per year salary and a 2-3 million dollar bonus. Still seems a little high, IMHO, but much more reasonable then 6 million per year against the cap.

Almost forgot, they gave me the info I posted earlier on Clement, basically he is a quality guard, but a terrible tackle. Said Shelton is good tackle and can play either side equally as well. Thinks Ross signing was a mistake. He said Shelton is a better LT then either Davis or Ross and feels Green is doing funny things with the Online he can't figure out.

Seems old Denny Green thinks he can make a run at the playoffs with a few stud rookies, some FA and the team he has.

265290[/snapback]

considering the cards play in the NFC, i don't think that idea is far fetched at all.........their offense is taking shape and if they can add some quality defenders in the draft or another free agent signing, i think they will have a good shot at the playoffs.........

The rumor I heard from a Cards fan over the weekend is the Bears want Shelton.  They offered only a 2nd day pick this year, which was reported here. The thing he said was that the bears don't have a 2nd rounder and didn't want to only have one day 1 pick.  So they said the bears offered something like their 5th rounder and a 3rd next year.  If that is true, then that is basically equivalent to a 2nd rounder, and the Cards turned it down.  The Cards seem to want picks this year and are unwilling to trade Shelton for deferred picks next year.  Seems old Denny Green thinks he can make a run at the playoffs with a few stud rookies, some FA and the team he has.

The rumor on what Travis wanted was a 4 year contract 4 million per year and a 7 million dollar bonus for a total 4 year 23 million dollar deal.  Sorry Travis you aren't even worth half of that.  The Cards apparently offered 4 years just under 2 million per year salary and a 2-3  million dollar bonus.  Still seems a little high, IMHO, but much more reasonable then 6 million per year against the cap.

Almost forgot, they gave me the info I posted earlier on Clement, basically he is a quality guard, but a terrible tackle.  Said Shelton is good tackle and can play either side equally as well.  Thinks Ross signing was a mistake.  He said Shelton is a better LT then either Davis or Ross and feels Green is doing funny things with the Online he can't figure out.

I figured it was Travis asking for too much. But considering what an wholly unproven back like Jordan got, Travis' demands aren't so unreasonable. The market IS what it is.

The rumor on what Travis wanted was a 4 year contract 4 million per year and a 7 million dollar bonus for a total 4 year 23 million dollar deal.  Sorry Travis you aren't even worth half of that.  The Cards apparently offered 4 years just under 2 million per year salary and a 2-3  million dollar bonus.  Still seems a little high, IMHO, but much more reasonable then 6 million per year against the cap.

265290[/snapback]

If Lamant Jordan, whose highest total in any year was baout 400 yards, and

he gets 25M based on potential, I don't see why a TH cannot get a similar

deal based on what he has achieved (two years of 1300 yards +) and a

pro-bowl selection to boo.

I see TH signing a contract similar to what Duce Staley did last year with

the steelers.

The rumor I heard from a Cards fan over the weekend is the Bears want Shelton.  They offered only a 2nd day pick this year, which was reported here. The thing he said was that the bears don't have a 2nd rounder and didn't want to only have one day 1 pick.  So they said the bears offered something like their 5th rounder and a 3rd next year.  If that is true, then that is basically equivalent to a 2nd rounder, and the Cards turned it down.  The Cards seem to want picks this year and are unwilling to trade Shelton for deferred picks next year.  Seems old Denny Green thinks he can make a run at the playoffs with a few stud rookies, some FA and the team he has.

Almost forgot, they gave me the info I posted earlier on Clement, basically he is a quality guard, but a terrible tackle.  Said Shelton is good tackle and can play either side equally as well.  Thinks Ross signing was a mistake.  He said Shelton is a better LT then either Davis or Ross and feels Green is doing funny things with the Online he can't figure out.

265290[/snapback]

How exactly is a 5th this year and a 3rd next year worth a #2 this year? Would you EVER take that trade?

How exactly is a 5th this year and a 3rd next year worth a #2 this year? Would you EVER take that trade?

It's not. Typically when a team makes a trade during the draft for a pick they don't have, they'll give up a pick the following year one round higher than the one they acquired. For example, a 2nd rounder this year will cost a 1st rounder next year. Going by that and using the above proposed trade, a 3rd next year is worth a 4th this year, and along with a 5th wouldn't even get you the value of a 3rd rounder, much less a 2nd.

265312[/snapback]

If I was the Cards, I would not. But a 3rd and a 5th is roughly equivelant to a 2nd. They are looking for a high 2nd or a first, this year, is my understanding. He also seemed to think the Bills had offered Henry and a 5th rounder, but again without a lower contract the Cards don't want Travis, is what he said.

It was someone I was golfing with, I was actually shocked that there are Cardnical fans. I had heard rumors of them, but never really met one. :o

It's not.  Typically when a team makes a trade during the draft for a pick they don't have, they'll give up a pick the following year one round higher than the one they acquired.  For example, a 2nd rounder this year will cost a 1st rounder next year.  Going by that and using the above proposed trade, a 3rd next year is worth a 4th this year, and along with a 5th wouldn't even get you the value of a 3rd rounder, much less a 2nd.

265314[/snapback]

MDB, good explaination, and I agree. A 3rd and 5th this year would be a 2nd equivalent.

I know, I have three replies in a row, with noone else responding. He also mentioned that the Bills maybe also hanging up on the deal, because the general feeling around is that Jennings and Shelton were equal in overall ability. This guy seemed to that that Shelton also wanted to possibly renegociate as part of the trade, and get him closer to the Jennings contract #. He seemed to think that Donahoe had promised Shelton a renegociation next year if he pans out well, but not right away, and Shelton seemed okay with that.

Again, he said he was a just a Cards fan, but he seemed pretty well versed on the subject.