The Ringer: The NFL’s Head-Coaching Carousel Is a Crisis

26CornerBlitz

9 hours ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

But yet the draft experts praised the Bills draft.  But what do they know, I'm sure you're way smarter than people who do this for a living.

Who the hell cares what media "draft experts" claim within a few hours or days of the NFL draft?   Their evaluations signify nothing because they are only based on criteria that are important to media "draft experts" and fans who buy what they're selling.   The real proof of how good or bad a team's draft is depends upon how well the draftees actually play on the field in games.  In the Bills case, through 10 games, individually and as a group, they are certainly not outstanding.

White has played decently for a rookie but Jones hasn't been good at all.  That doesn't mean he won't turn out to be a good WR but he's not there yet.  Dawkins has had good games and bad games, but many teams would have had him sit for while, perhaps the entire season.  White and Jones have been starters simply because Stephon Gilmore and all of the Bills starting WRs left either in FA or by trade.  Dawkins has played LT when Glenn's not been able to go but Jordan Mills has started every game at RT. 

Milano and Peterman are 5th rounders and Vallejo is a 6th rounder.  McDermott (the player) was a 6th round pick cut by NE.  Elston, Ferguson, Lacey, Towbridge, and Yarbrough are all UDFAs.  Milano and Yarbrough have played some.  We saw last week that Peterman is not nearly as "NFL ready" as his gushing fanboys claimed.  The rest have only played ST I believe although they may very well have gotten in on a few regular snaps.  I think I've seen Vallejo in on some regular snaps, too.

Feel free to try to prove that the Bills' rookies are significantly better than other teams' rookies if you want.

Edited by SoTier

On 11/21/2017 at 2:32 PM, 26CornerBlitz said:

The Ringer: The NFL’s Head-Coaching Carousel Is a Crisis

...Even if the coach is good (and McDermott was doing a nice job before the Peterman-Taylor decision), the previous stops and starts of the organization make it nearly impossible for them to ever succeed....

This statement is so meritless and negative that I burst out laughing when I read it. Mularkey, Donohoe, Gailey and Nix have zero impact on the Bills' future opportunity for success. Whaley's work (good or bad) is being erased quickly. There is nothing about what has happened over the past 18 years that will affect the Bills in 2020.

I hope Beane and McDermott are of the quality we've been wishing for. Unlike your quote however, I am humble enough to to know that I cannot see the future. 

So, for all intents and purposes, if Chip Kelly had stayed with the Eagles he would be coaching in the Super Bowl this year?

Everyone would like it to be a simple solution - but it is NOT.  Coaches are not like wines that get better as they age.

I do not hire an employee and then wait some magical 5 year period to decide whether they are a good worker.  Once you hire someone, you continually look for signs that this employee will be a contributing member of your workforce. IF you don't know what "signs" to look for that make up a good employee, YOU are the problem not the employee.

Perhaps, like Quarterbacks, GOOD coaches come along every so often. Great coaches are a rare find indeed.

It is silly to look at coaching longevity and deduct that those "given enough time turn out good" rather than "if you are a GOOD COACH they will hold on to you for YEARS!"

Please don't tell me that the only reason Wrecs Ryan failed was because nobody gave him enough time.