JETS THINK JORDAN DEAL WAS "INSANE"

JETS THINK JORDAN DEAL WAS "INSANE"

Word out of New York is that the Jets regard the five-year, $27.5 million contract running back LaMont Jordan signed with the Raiders as "insane."

Earlier this week, Jordan left the Jets for Oakland after four seasons in New York. With 292, 316, 190, and 479 yards rushing in 2001, 2002, 2003, and 2004, respectively, Jordan never was able to take a serious dent out of starter Curtis Martin's touches. Over the same four seasons, Martin had 1513, 1094, 1308, and 1697 yards, which was a career high and a franchise record.

Though the Raiders surely were paying Jordon not on performance but on potential, there's no guarantee that Jordan can carry the load as a full-time, 20-plus-touches-per-game tailback.

In fact, the Raiders need look no farther than their own roster for one of the most recent examples of a guy who was great off the bench, but who fizzled out as the No. 1 back. Amos Zereoue, who played his way into the starting role with the Steelers in 2003, quickly found his way back to the bench after an ineffective stint as the go-to guy in Pittsburgh.

Even if the Raiders hope to create the same one-two punch with Jordan and Zereoue that Bettis and Zereoue had formed with the Steelers, it's a lot of money to pay to Jordan in the hopes that he can carry the load successfully.

We're also hearing that the Jets knew once defensive tackle Jason Ferguson hit free agency that they had no chance to keep him. He originally signed a four-year deal to stay with the team in 2001, but then abruptly suffered an injury during training camp and missed the entire season.

I was thinking the exact same thing when I heard about the Jordan deal. Only time will tell who is right in this situation, but I HATE free agency this year so far. It's really driving the prices for talent in the NFL up to ridiculous heights. I know I know free market blah blah blah.

They do have a point. I certainly think that even if we had the cap room and there was a need to fill @ RB, TD would certainly know better than to pay him that much $. OTOH, he may be a 1500 yd. back on one of the more potent offenses in the NFL.

When I heard the contract amount for Jordan, I thought to myself "GREAT". And why you ask? Because I thought it would push the Travis Henry trade along...heck, to score up a starting RB for 1.25 million (I think that's TH's current contract) is a steal. But, my hopes seem to be a dying a fast death.

Thats alot of scratch for an unproven starter! I still dont know how the Raiders and the Deadskins do it year after year and still arent in cap hell.

265196[/snapback]

Didn't we pay Rob Johns 25M (with a 5M signing bonus) when he hadn't

thrown a single ball for the bills, on the heels of one single brave game

he had for the JAX against the Ravens.

Didn't we pay Rob Johns 25M (with a 5M signing bonus) when he hadn't

thrown a single ball for the bills, on the heels of one single brave game

he had for the JAX against the Ravens.

265298[/snapback]

Yup, and look how good that turned out! :o

The Jets are right, it is an insane deal.

I was thinking the exact same thing when I heard about the Jordan deal.  Only time will tell who is right in this situation, but I HATE free agency this year so far.  It's really driving the prices for talent in the NFL up to ridiculous heights.  I know I know free market blah blah blah.

265146[/snapback]

I agree. The NFL is starting to get an NHL-type smell about it IMO. When I look at the Jet's singings so far, I get the impression that more teams are starting to commit themselves to a boom-and-bust mentality; pay the $$$, hope you do well, and then fall into the toilet for a couple of years then start the cycle anew. That's rough on coaches and fans alike.