I really do disagree

JayFromDC

Jason Gildon LB Oklahoma

Keith McKenzie DE Ball State

Ken Simonton RB Oregon State

Jonathan Smith WR Georgia Tech

Dominique Stevenson LB Tennessee

If these guys got cut who in the hell MADE the team???

19896[/snapback]

Some decent looking depth right there.

Jason Gildon LB Oklahoma

19896[/snapback]

I agree with us not keeping either Gildon or McKenzie, that really thins out our already weak pass rush.

Simonton was no surprise, Shaud Williams was much better when givin the chance.

I mean I saying these guys are pro bowlers but I thought Jason and Keith could be solid back ups, I like the quickness I saw out of Ken Simontin, I think he could make a nice change of pace like 3rd down type of back, Jonathan Smith to me looked better than Lee Evans in the preseason and he was NO.1 and Dominique was a solid solid special teamer

All good players that will either find a roster or be on someone's PS.

Jason Gildon LB Oklahoma

someone will sign him for the vet min. What stinks is that he counts 500K against our cap.

disappointed with this. thought he was a good STer and solid RDE backup who could get pressure and make a difference out there.

bummer, but he WAS outplayed by schaud williams...and simonton did nothing for us in regular duty last year.

a message to ball droppers, perhaps. He'll be on our PS for sure.

This is the one that really gets me. This and Sully and TBrown on IR. I never saw anything special from ConRitz, but hey. I'm no scout. Dom was a great STer and had good chemistry with the LB corp. Strange release.

Sully always seemed depressed to me. He's huge and has so much upside if he'd just wake up and get into the game like someone less talented like Ross Tucker...he could be really good. But no.

I worry about the TBrown statements and their affect on the team...everyone expected him back, especially bledsoe...what's going on here, I wonder?

I can't help but think that ConRitz will still end up on the PS, and we kept him temporarily, until we sign another player this week. Who knows....

is it just me or does anyone else see Jason Gildon/Keith McKenzie/or Dominique Stevenson as players that the Bills would bring back after Lawyer Milloy is healthy again, after they cut Pierson Prioleau?

Or maybe they are thinking that one of them could be a post-game1 signing...where the player's contract does not affect the cap...they are paid week2week...

cutting Gildon doesn't cost us anything against the cap. I can see cutting Gildon and McKenzie. If they're not going to make a big difference as role players why keep them? Why not develop a younger guy who will be around for a while as opposed to keeping those two who won't be around very long and might not contribute too much.

cutting Gildon doesn't cost us anything against the cap.

Didn't Gildon having a signing bonus? That would count against the cap, no?

Jason Gildon LB Oklahoma

19896[/snapback]

Jay... what have any of these guys done for you lately? I was actually hoping Bledsoe was gonna get cut... but, in reality, I knew that Donahoe ain't that smart.

Jason Gildon LB Oklahoma

19896[/snapback]

Gildon looked to me in the games like you could see the wear and tear of age which saw him drop to 6 sacks last year and got him cut so he was available to the Bills in the first place. There was one play against Detroit where Glidon was in pursuit of MacMahon (or maybe an RB) and he simply could not catch-up to the offensive guy he did a nice job in flushing. Hr reminded me alot of Robinson who the Bills had starting at LB for GW and folks like Pennington put the moves on him in a one-on-one for a TD.

I had hopes that he had enough left to play the same role for the Bills of designated pass-rusher that Jim Jeffcoat (another guy in the twilight of his career) played for us but it didn't look like he was up to it to this outsider.

This is a problem for the Bills as our pass rush has been so weak that the team needs answers. Right now in terms of scheme it seems to be the second year of using the run blitz and in terms of personnel looking for improvement from Kelsay and/or Denney which seem to be the best hopes.

McKenzie actually impressed me more than Hlidon, but it seems that Ritzman impressed the braintrust more than McKenzie. Given that McKenzie at best is likely a third string talent this was not surprising to me. The same what if questions arise regarding the pass rush and neither McKenzie or Ritzman appear to be the answers. I think the ey thing here in this sport which unfortunately is a business is that the rookie was a cheaper comparable talent with potential (only potential which in my mind means he hasn't done anything) for development and he does not suffer under the same uncetainty that McKenzie's injury raised. Having not seen how much of a limp games caused him or knowing how much cortisone he needed to play even as well as he did, I can't see getting exercised about this cut.

Simonton as said above showed well but not as well as Shaud Williams.

Fast Greddy is back with the Bills on our PS abd this is a great place for him and his fumbles to be.

Stevenson's cut was the big surprise for Bills fans particularly given some weak plays by our ST in the last two games after some good plays by the ST in the first two games. it would not surprise me if a review of the tape actually shows some the problems we had to have happened while Stevenson or Simonton were on the field or even worse may be directly traceable to bad plays by them/ I don't know because I have not gone back to review whatever the TV cameras gave us, but I do remember a couple of boners by Stevenson last year amidst some good work also by him leading the team in ST tackles.

I worry about the TBrown statements and their affect on the team...everyone expected him back, especially bledsoe...what's going on here, I wonder?

19908[/snapback]

I wouldn't worry about this at all. When Milloy got cut on the eve of the opener last year, I am sure it had a much bigger impact on the Pats(after all he was a starting SS versus a backup QB) and they went on to win the SB. That's part of the game. I am sure that DB's play won't change based on whether TB is here or not.

Gildon was cut because he couldn't fit into the Bills 4-3. He is too light to play DE consistently and made no difference in pass rushing situations during the preseason games. He was lost out there most of the preseason. Why is this so hard to understand? And he is too old and too expensive to keep around as a just-in-case back-up who hasn't played in a 4-3 scheme virtually his entire career.

As TD rightly pointed out, he would have had a better chance to make the team had he not waited so long to sign. That would have given him and the Bills longer to find a spot for him and/or for him to figure out how to be successful in such a new role.

McKenzie had also done nothing to distinguish himself this preseason. Sure he could have been a solid if not unspectacular back-up, but who do you cut instead?

Smith got more touches because he was playing on the third team against third team defenses. He also was tried on returns. He fumbled repeatedly and dropped balls. He might have a future, but he is obviously raw and needs time to develop. Whom should we have cut to keep a guy on the active roster who can't hang onto the ball?

ST's were great the first few games. Know why? Because the Bills played their starting ST's. Once satisfied, they began throwing lot's of other guys in for extra looks. Didn't mean squat and while Stevens was great on ST's, he was not going to be the enxt couple of linebackers in on defense. So that makes him a luxury that we didn't have, given that we had to keep three injured players on the team as it is. Perhaps had Milloy not been hurt, they might have kept him over Pierson Prioleau, but once Milloy was hurt, they had to keep him at least for now.

Simonton and Shaud Williams were a toss-up.

Anyway, one thing this post does not do is propose replacement cuts for these guys. Until you do that, you haven't considered the entire issue. It is a numbers game.