What Is The Disadvantage To Throwing Confusing Defenses Against a QB?

1 hour ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

To the OP

They do.  

To this post. 

Drew Brees said that McDermott tried  to throw confusing defenses at him Sunday.  Drew managed to make the best of them.  

Ya makes sense. I never said they wont try to confuse them, I just meant it usually doesn't work out too well so that's why coaches usually keep it to a minimum .

Best way to beat great QBS? Play tight man coverage and get pass rush with 4 guys. Obviously easier said than done

11 hours ago, matter2003 said:

Cover 1: Man to man with the corners and strong safety with the free safety plahying "centerfield" in the middle. Corners align with an outside shade meaning they align on the outside shoulder of the WR and try and force them to the inside by taking away the sideline. That's called playing with "leverage" and why you hear the color commentators who were ex-players talking about how "You just CAN'T let your man get inside/outside you in that defense...you HAVE to maintain your leverage!"

Usually when blitzing the LB or S in cover 1, teams play inside leverage to force the receivers outside, making the throw harder (usually), to also use the sidelines to their advantage and to protect this open space created by the blitzer in the middle of the field. Free inside releases can kill this coverage, hence the commentators killing corners usually who miss align at the snap no understanding the other defenders responsibilities. Teams will also play inside leverage to force vertical routes into the sidelines and good corners will squeeze the WR into the sidelines limits the margin of error defensively and forces perfect passes offensively/vertically, in this coverage. 

Cover 3:  A zone concept where both outside corners and the free safety each take a deep 1/3 of the field.  The strong safety has the flat/curl responsibility on the strong side and the Will LB has the flat/curl responsibility on the weak side with the MLB having the middle 1/3 of the short zone.

Seattle version has 2 LB's covering  the inside quarters with the WLB and SS covering the outside quarter respectively, won them a SB IMO, its is a 4-2-5 defense concept, with 43 personnel (WLB is essentially a big S, with ILB/SLB being WLB/S hybrid types). Speed and recognition kill in this D. 

Cover 5(sometimes called "Palms" or "Cathy"): Is a non-traditional defense that is typically a form of cover-2 but is really more scheme defined than anything...sometimes it is a base Tampa-2, other times it is a cover-2 pattern read, and still other times its cover-2 man.  "Palms" coverage is many times based off a read on the #2 WR and what route he runs...if he runs vertical, the CB plays WR #1, if he runs a flat/curl route the CB comes off WR #2 and the safety picks up WR #1.  Then the SAM LB typically splits the middle of those two players...But again, this is NOT always what it means, just a common form of it.

Basically the secondary and LB's read the WR's not the QB and make in play adjustments. This is tough to coach and execute, poor execution results in huge plays more often than not. Its big in college and HS teams that like to run 4-2-5 defenses with 3 S's. Communication and recognition are key, experience is huge. 

To piggy back on some of this (in bold), overall I thought it was a quality post, along with several others in this thread.

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, P51 said:

To piggy back on some of this (in bold), overall I thought it was a quality post, along with several others in this thread.

Nice additions!  Please feel free to take a look at my Football Fundamental Series I am starting to help spread some knowledge and chime in with additional info for people to read up on(myself included).  I started with Cover 0 today...