Tegray Scales as McDermott's next Linebacker weapon

The Now Moment

Tegray Scales isn't as talked about as he should be.  Here is a linebacker that is a true triple threat linebacker, exactly what McDermott likes.  Scales is a senior and has started all four years at Indiana.  Scales plays at the middle linebacker spot for the Hoosiers and he plays it well.

Scales recorded 125 total tackles last year with a stifling 24 TFL, 7 sacks and an INT.  He has been one of the most consistent players in college football playing well in all four years.  He has had season totals as high as 125 for tackles, 24 for TFL, 3 for INTs and 7 for sacks.  He's shown his ability to shed blocks even for being undersized at only 6'0" 230 as a linebacker.  He finds ways to clog lanes in the running game and is effective and fast enough in coverage.  He has 7 career INTs.  Scales is having a nice senior season to add to his productive college career with 76 tackles, 10.5 TFL, 5 sacks and 1 INT through 9 games.  

We all know McDermott's love for fast linebackers who can be a force in a few different areas on the defense, Tegray Scales is too McDermott to not be in almost every mock draft leading up to the draft.  As of now, Scales is a somewhat known commodity but I believe he will burst on the seen at the combine and show just how athletic he really is.  If he makes it to us with one of our first round picks, I wouldn't be surprised if McDermott doesn't clap for a week after the pick.  

With the need of some athleticism and youth on the linebacker spot that will have a few free agents this spring, I think this would be a no-brainer pick.

Edited by Buffalo30

I have a family friend who's son chose to go to Indiana, graduating early to enroll in January. He's 3 star, borderline 4 if you look at the numbers, RB named Ronnie Walker. Smart kid, 4.2 GPA as well. Said he chose Indiana because the football team had an excellent graduation rate. Good kid, has a chance to be something special at IU. Needless to say, once he made his choice I started to follow them. Love Tegray Scales. Never seen him take a single play off and he is a true 3 down LB. On top of that he seems to be a real leader out there. He may not even be on the board when we pick if he has a good combine to couple with his on field production. 

Edited by H2o

41 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

The other big time prospect at IU is WR Simmie Cobbs, Jr. I would love for the Bills to draft either of these players.

I doubt that Buffalo would be looking for another big wide receiver now that they have Benjamin.  I think they'll be looking for a guy with speed to stretch the field.  Like Anthony Miller who is a highly productive Senior from Memphis.  Can be our kick returner, used on the outside or inside at wide out and just needs to get some touches in space to make some magic happen.  True competitor.

1 hour ago, H2o said:

I have a family friend who's son chose to go to Indiana, graduating early to enroll in January. He's 3 star, borderline 4 if you look at the numbers, RB named Ronnie Walker. Smart kid, 4.2 GPA as well. Said he chose Indiana because the football team had an excellent graduation rate. Good kid, has a chance to be something special at IU. Needless to say, once he made his choice I started to follow them. Love Tegray Scales. Never seen him take a single play off and he is a true 3 down LB. On top of that he seems to be a real leader out there. He may not even be on the board when we pick if he has a good combine to couple with his on field production. 

Truly love the way Scales plays.  I agree, if he smashes the combine like I expect him to, he may not be there.  He could be a riser like Haasan Riddick was last year when Arizona took him in the top 15.  He's everywhere on the field.  If they have the opportunity to grab him, I think McDermott would be running to the stage.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not sure if Scales is worth a top 50 pick.  He shows good athleticism and awareness, but lacks basic linebacker skills. 

He needs more strength and more aggression.  It's more often than not that you see him taking a back road to the ball.  He's pretty reckless in his tackling as well, doesn't exactly breakdown ever whichanging leads to a lot of missed diving and arm tackles. 

Good project player, but if we get him it probaby won't be until early third, maybe late second. I doubt his draft stock builds to a first rounder. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.