What leverage does TD have in terms of MW cap hit

Let's just say MW is approached by the Bills front office to restructure his contract in order to reduce his extremely high cap hit the next 3 years. He says no. You can't cut him because of the huge cap hit plus you have a hole to fill at LT, you don't need one at RT too. Do you grin and bear it for the next three years and then attempt to sign him to a new contract commensurate with his level of play? All I know is the 9 million dollar cap hit is going to cause TD some problems for the next couple of years.

Let's just say MW is approached by the Bills front office to restructure his contract in order to reduce his extremely high cap hit the next 3 years.  He says no.  You can't cut him because of the huge cap hit plus you have a hole to fill at LT, you don't need one at RT too.  Do you grin and bear it for the next three years and then attempt to sign him to a new contract commensurate with his level of play?  All I know is the 9 million dollar cap is going to cause TD some problems for the next couple of years.

262472[/snapback]

I agree completely. What the heck was the rationale of signing a RT to such

a large amount?

I agree completely.  What the heck was the rationale of signing a RT to such

a large amount?

262479[/snapback]

It was dictated by where he was drafted and what's done is done. I am more concerned with how this problem can be fixed now.

You wait and see how/what MW does this year.

Does he show up at all the mini camps, and appear to be following a regimen?

Does he show up on time and in shape for training camps?

Does he fight for the shot to be the Bills LT of the future?

If he does those things and has a great camp, then and only then would

I approach MW and seek out an extension.

MW will still get a big payday out of it, but we should be able to restrucuter a more cap friendly contract with training camp incentives and workout bonuses.

The bottom line is we don't want to pay MW anymore or extend him until we are feeling alot more comfortable after last years training camp/offseason debacle

It was dictated by where he was drafted and what's done is done.  I am more concerned with how this problem can be fixed now.

262481[/snapback]

I guess my problem with that draft is we were coming off a 3-13 season.

You don't reach that high in the first round, you trade down and get players

of value. Give yourself a chance.

Most restructures put future dollars into the players hands right now...the player gains...He's not going to be asked to take a pay cut...

262487[/snapback]

Put's more money in the hand of the player, but hopefully reduce the cap hit by extending the contract.

Put's more money in the hand of the player, but hopefully reduce the cap hit by extending the contract.

262494[/snapback]

How about getting MW to show up in camp, drop a couple LB's, and

start acting like a professional athlete being paid $ 9,000,000.

The more I think about this the more I think his salary is going to DICTATE that Mike play at Left Tackle.......

262550[/snapback]

This is going to be a tough one for O'le Whitey.

If:

A. MW starts at left tackle and fails which he probably will, bad move and

TD looks really bad. Again.

B. MW stays at right tackle and we have to keep paying him All-Pro left

tackle money. O'le Whitey has a lot of explaining to do.

I think RW is getting a little impatient.